NTG2 Getting very warm - can't read map dvd

Torben Broedholt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2005
My MB w203 from 2005 with the NTG2 Comand unit is getting very warm after a while and if using the GPS it can not read the dvd
I have controlled the fan in the unit for dirt - no dirt - not sure if the fan should be running all the time or is controlled by the unit temp.
Is it a defect dvd reader or????
Thanks in advance for any comments.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Ive seen many comand units get very hot when using non original disks.

OP
T

Torben Broedholt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2005
Thanks for your reply!!
I have tried both original and copy dvd's with the same result - I have removed the unit and tried to create a bit more space between the unit and the noise reduction foam so now I'm waiting for a longer ride to build up heat.
Thanks for the link - will try to get a new dvd (original) to see is this will help.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
fans in the amps are bad by 5 years and or 45k miles so doubt the fan in best of health

I got second-hand amp (2012) and the fan was twice as bad as my 10 year old amp that's failed.... so fitted an external fan so I can swap out without a fight

the stock 30mm one does 12k rpm and sounds like a jet engine, trying to shift 17cm or something similarly mad

OP
T

Torben Broedholt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2005
fans in the amps are bad by 5 years and or 45k miles so doubt the fan in best of health

I got second-hand amp (2012) and the fan was twice as bad as my 10 year old amp that's failed.... so fitted an external fan so I can swap out without a fight

the stock 30mm one does 12k rpm and sounds like a jet engine, trying to shift 17cm or something similarly mad

Thanks - worth trying - Had the unit opened and it looks very clean and the fan seems ok - tried to turn unit on but the fan were not running - might be bacause the fan i controlled by temp.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Thanks - worth trying - Had the unit opened and it looks very clean and the fan seems ok - tried to turn unit on but the fan were not running - might be bacause the fan i controlled by temp.

my amp fan seems to come on whenever the car is unlocked
the TV tuner only fires up the fan if the TV is on.... that fan is pretty quiet
not sure why they'd bother to work out if hot and spin up may as well just come on.....

Alfie at comandonline with have a better answer

OP
T

Torben Broedholt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2005
Ok - Thanks. will try to ask him if my change of the foam plates don't give a positive result

OP
T

Torben Broedholt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2005
Update on this issue:

When reinstalling the NTG2 unit the foam were pushed a bit away from the rear of the unit and the strip of foam covering the space above the unit - between the switch panel and the NTG2 unit were also pussed a bit away to give a some more air flow. That were the action taken hardware wise and I also bought a new map dvd - the original pressed one which has a silver coloured surface compared to a copy dvd which has a much darker surface - consuming more heat. Had earlier bought a dvd online which unfortunatelly turned out to be a copy.
These actions seems to have solved my problem - the NTG2 screen does not get so hot and the unit seems to work OK.

Thanks for your comments and advice!!

Top Bottom