Number plate size regulations.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
The registration on my car is only 5 digits so I thought about buying shorter number plates front and rear. I have looked on the DVLA website but i cannot find any info on wether a number plate that is 330mm long and 111mm high is legal or not. The standard size for a plate is 520mm long and 111mm high but there does not appear to be any regulations on this. I am clear on the legallities of the actual digits just not the plates. Anyone got any knowledge on this?

Thanks

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Afraid not but maybe someone like Showplates direct may show the legalities ?

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
I don't think there are any regulations as regards the dimensions of the actual plate, just the size and spacing of the lettering,

Also, the letters and numbers (characters) on number plates bought since 1 September 2001 will need to meet the following standards.
n Characters must be 79mm tall
n Characters (except the number 1 or letter I) must be 50mm wide
n The character stroke (the thickness of the black print) must be 14mm
n The space between characters must be 11mm
n The space between the age identifier and the random letters must be 33mm
n The margins at the top, bottom and side of the plate must be 11mm
n Vertical space between the age identifier and the random numbers must be 19mm

Source:-
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...le-registration-numbers-and-number-plates.pdf

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
As far as I'm aware, there's no legal requirement for plate size although there are standard size blanks to make up plates.
The legal stuff is all about spacing, format and font.
Some Jaguars and Rovers have odd shape plates from new.
The edge of the plate must be at least 11mm from any character, this has been interpreted literally by some people that have cut the plate 11mm from all characters on something like a bandsaw, the effect is the plates edge follows the contour of each letter/number. Not sure that would get past the stiff upper lip traffic cop.
Info for spacing and margins are here.

Last edited:
OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Thanks all, pretty much as i suspected, loads of regs on the numbers and letters but nothing on the plate dimensions. I think i will go for the smaller plates, its a shame we have to have a front plate at all.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Think of the Discovery rear number plate , it's square , and also motorcycles , all differing sizes to standard car layout . You will know at your next mot wether you choose correctly ;)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Good point and remember the Rover 75 ones..?

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I was forgetting about the rear plates on the Rovers and Disco's, guess i will be ok to get shorter plates.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wish i'd mentioned the odd shaped ones ones from Jaguar and Rover.
;)

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No probs mate, all good, I was just having a laugh with ya.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The edge of the plate must be at least 11mm from any character, this has been interpreted literally by some people that have cut the plate 11mm from all characters on something like a bandsaw, the effect is the plates edge follows the contour of each letter/number.

I found an example....
>>CLICK<<

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
As far as I'm aware, there's no legal requirement for plate size although there are standard size blanks to make up plates.
The legal stuff is all about spacing, format and font.
Some Jaguars and Rovers have odd shape plates from new.
The edge of the plate must be at least 11mm from any character, this has been interpreted literally by some people that have cut the plate 11mm from all characters on something like a bandsaw, the effect is the plates edge follows the contour of each letter/number. Not sure that would get past the stiff upper lip traffic cop.
Info for spacing and margins are here.

Yep just need to have standard uk sizes, correct spacing for the plate and 11mm border with the bsau145d mark - I had one for mine from fancy plates but it had no bs mark - passed mots and no police attention...

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
so, whilst on this subject, since it was mentioned about why do we have to have front plates at all, why SHOULD WE BOTHER with them? after all, every motorbike there is on the road (apart from classic bikes that have them on the front mudguard) is technically breaking the law by not having one, and this renders them untraceable to front facing speed cameras etc. so it could be argued that it shouldn't be necessary OR bikes should be made to display plates front and rear!

Ductman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDI Estate/R171 200 SLK/Lotus Exige V6/Lotus Evora GT410 Sport
2 of my cars have only 5 digit registrations and whilst using standard font size and spacing, the fronts are considerably smaller than standard. I bought from 'Fancy Plates', specifying the overall size of the plate to be 11mm all round from the digits. They also have the BS number and supplying dealers name on the bottom as specified.
1 of the cars recently went through its first MOT with no problem, so it should be legal, as I'd been told. Both cars look very much better for having the smaller front plates which don't overpower the look of the cars.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Thanks all, pretty much as i suspected, loads of regs on the numbers and letters but nothing on the plate dimensions. I think i will go for the smaller plates, its a shame we have to have a front plate at all.
I looked into this as well as my Reg No. also has five digits. It would appear that the that the regulated area is the font and the size of the font. I did have a short set of plates made up but when I put them on I thought they looked stupid, that is only my opinion mind you. ;)

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is there a law saying the plate has to be the right way up?
Correct in every way but upside down would obviously get a pull but is there an actual law against it I wonder?

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Wish i'd mentioned the odd shaped ones ones from Jaguar and Rover.
;)
Is there a law saying the plate has to be the right way up?
Correct in every way but upside down would obviously get a pull but is there an actual law against it I wonder?
The plate must be easily readable, i guess being upside down it would be argued that it is not easily readable.

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Another option i have in mind is an adhesive front plate so i don't need the plate plinth on my SL.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom