Obsidian Black Mercedes C220 Couple Detail ***WARNING Lots of Pics***

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
well yes Carl you may be a clown but looking at your excellent work on this and your own car you are certainly no monkey!

lordksmith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK220 CDI Sport AMG Pack
Wow!
For the engine is TFR the same sort of cleaner as the one you used? I'm nervous of doing the engine as mine looks like that one did '' had the car a month now".

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Wow!

For the engine is TFR the same sort of cleaner as the one you used? I'm nervous of doing the engine as mine looks like that one did '' had the car a month now".

No TFR is a different beast altogether. To be honest I've never tried it.

I use Surfex as a TFR. But for an engine bay you need a degreasant to remove oil residue etc.

Take your time and I wouldn't use a pressure washer until you've built up confidence. Use a wet microfibre. Wring it out and then spray some Surfex (or equivalent) on the surface you are going to clean and then scrub it with the cloth and a detailing brush.

You will go through about 10 cloths if it's as bad as this was. But it's safer for you in the long run until you're happy to use a PW.

lordksmith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK220 CDI Sport AMG Pack
No TFR is a different beast altogether. To be honest I've never tried it.

I use Surfex as a TFR. But for an engine bay you need a degreasant to remove oil residue etc.

Take your time and I wouldn't use a pressure washer until you've built up confidence. Use a wet microfibre. Wring it out and then spray some Surfex (or equivalent) on the surface you are going to clean and then scrub it with the cloth and a detailing brush.

You will go through about 10 cloths if it's as bad as this was. But it's safer for you in the long run until you're happy to use a PW.

Thanks for that! off to motor factors to buy mirco cloths and detailing brushes plus Surfex.

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
Looks amazing though I'm surprised how dirty the engine was on a newish car. Black is definitely the best colour for showing off your detailing skills. My black BMW is currently being wet sanded and the difference to before is incredible.

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Looks amazing though I'm surprised how dirty the engine was on a newish car. Black is definitely the best colour for showing off your detailing skills. My black BMW is currently being wet sanded and the difference to before is incredible.

Wet sanding is a whole different league though. Your car once finished would make this look dull in comparison. Please post some pics once it's done.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Lol!! Have a chat with yourself. I know i said good or bad comments but there's no need to try and be clever or offensive! It's not flat black :confused: it's Obsidian Black Metallic. Or is this not metal flake in the paint?

6daeb32a9bb2d3a663d2dfc9b89bfb08.jpg

Have a look at some of the other pics I post in the OP and you can quite clearly see it's metallic.

I had taken it that Parkgate was joking......either he wasn't or it didn't work in print.

Mic

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Love your work Carl, if I was nearer I would let you loose on mine.

Just had a phone call to say my Bilt Hamber Clay bar and Wax have arrived

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
Will do. Haven't been able to safely remove all of the peel but it is night and day better. Modern BMWs have been the worst for orange peel but I've seen some shocking cars at MBWorld too.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Excellent work on this Carl.

What would you recommend to get coffee stains out of the carpet?

Do you not take the wheels off and clean them all round? I generally do the full wheels annually.

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Excellent work on this Carl.

What would you recommend to get coffee stains out of the carpet?

Do you not take the wheels off and clean them all round? I generally do the full wheels annually.

I would use a carpet cleaner like Meguiars Carpet cleaner. Also a decent brush and then wet vac it out.

I do take the wheels off if the customer wants them taking off. However I didn't on this car as he is going to get them refurbished due to the kerbing and White worm. So it would have been pointless to do.

kul1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W 202 and W204 and now a W212
It is a shame you are quite a distant away, I would love to get my 204 in OBsidian Black looking like the one you did.

Really pleased with the work.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Carl, I am not into bling, but re the rusty wheel bolts, I bought the covers.
DSC01248_zps2cktdaux.jpg

DSC01246_zps5lgvxhuf.jpg

Even from a distance
DSC01245_zpsmfmibhjg.jpg

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Thanks Malcolm. They do look good.

I think the owner is going to get new bolts once he gets the wheels refurbished.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm. They do look good.

I think the owner is going to get new bolts once he gets the wheels refurbished.

The bolts rusted in 2 years on the CL and they were supposed to be more rust resistant, but mercedes are the experts in rust.
In the USA they sell chrome bolts.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Nice bolt covers there Malcolm.

The bolts don't bother me too much, they can easily be painted.
What does annoy me is the damage on my wheels in the bolt recesses.

MB service shops seem to have some kind of special socket with wire brush sides that are perfect for scraping and scratching the recess.

My alloys were freshly refurbished when I bought mine and they are all marked in the recesses now with the lacquer scraped in several areas.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nice bolt covers there Malcolm.

The bolts don't bother me too much, they can easily be painted.
What does annoy me is the damage on my wheels in the bolt recesses.

MB service shops seem to have some kind of special socket with wire brush sides that are perfect for scraping and scratching the recess.

My alloys were freshly refurbished when I bought mine and they are all marked in the recesses now with the lacquer scraped in several areas.

I have my own thin walled socket that I have used for years, it is dead smooth and in perfect condition. yes rotten when these guys have not a care in the world over this.

swifty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Reliant Robin with a Mercedes badge!
Great job C350 Carl.. When I had a bodyshop I done a lot of trade paintwork and pre-sales preparation work. When I told traders that I would need their car for two days for a pre-sales prep they would almost fall over, but as you well know.. a good job (such as yours) will take that amount of time minimum!
Lots of folk just don't understand how much work is involved.

swifty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Reliant Robin with a Mercedes badge!
Re - bolt covers

Regarding those chrome (plastic) wheel bolt covers.. I agree they look good but do you not have difficulty removing them without scratching and scraping them?
I remember them from my boy racer days and they were always such a tight fit!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom