Obsidian Black Mercedes C220 Couple Detail ***WARNING Lots of Pics***

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Still looks very good.

Black is a hard colour to get right as it shows up any imperfections very easily in bright light.

It’s the same for most dark colours but black is by far the worst. But when you get it right then the result just makes the car look stunning.
I've only just read the first post!! Wow, what an amazing job. I prefer Obsidian Black to my cars colour, but hey. Did you do this full time back then, or something on the side?
Do you have any plans in the future to go back to detailing?
I also want to clean the engine bay, are there any do's and don'ts apart from not using high pressure. I'm worried about getting water where it shouldn't be.

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I've only just read the first post!! Wow, what an amazing job. I prefer Obsidian Black to my cars colour, but hey. Did you do this full time back then, or something on the side?
Do you have any plans in the future to go back to detailing?
I also want to clean the engine bay, are there any do's and don'ts apart from not using high pressure. I'm worried about getting water where it shouldn't be.

Thanks.

No, I’ve been in the military for 23yrs so far and still serving. I did it on the side as it is something I considered doing when I leave. However it’s on the back burner to do as a full time business at the moment as I have too big a gap in the portfolio. So if I do decide to plunge £40k into staring up a business (rough researched estimate a couple of years ago to get a dedicated unit, equipment, appropriate insurances and a bit of marketing) then I’ll need to do it on the side for a couple of years first to build up the portfolio again and get a decent name for myself.

Ref engine. I use a pressure washer but I have a variable pressure lance. I use it on its slowest setting and keep the engine running whenever I’m rinsing, avoiding the air intake. You don’t want to hydro lock and engine that’s for sure!

To be honest as long as you’re careful then you should be ok. If you don’t have a variable pressure lance then using a garden hose on a shower type spray and water pressure turned down should suffice.

Most modern cars you don’t need to go round wrapping electrics etc. I don’t on any car but I have an air hose and compressor to blow water away from all fuse boxes etc on older cars and use it regardless when cleaning an engine.

Easiest way to do it is get an all purpose cleaner that has a degreasant it. I use Autosmart G101. Then get a pastry brush and use that to work the cleaner into all the nooks and crannies. The 303 protection keeps the plastic looking good. Tip for that is leave on overnight and wipe off the excess in the morning. Give it time to soak in properly.

The engine on this car I don’t think had ever been cleaned. Once you’ve got it clean then once a month in summer should suffice. In winter I would clean at least every 2wks and more often than not weekly. But it wouldn’t take much to do and was generally more of a wipe over. A lot depends on how well the seals work around the bonnet and Mercedes seals are generally quite good I’ve found. Apart from this car! :D

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
This post appeared under "new posts" because it's just been updated - but it's a terrific tale to follow again and I'm so impressed, Carl it's absolutely terrific! After doing one of these you must ache in places you didn't know about...

But definitely, when the time arrives that you can stop running around deserts etc you'll be up for a very successful business.

Thanks.

As for aches, not really. I’m still young enough for youthful exuberance to keep the pain at bay. Or I was when I did this..... Starting to go downhill a bit now but that’s more legs due to all the running etc. That and I’m 40 now. :D

See post above ref future.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks.

No, I’ve been in the military for 23yrs so far and still serving. I did it on the side as it is something I considered doing when I leave. However it’s on the back burner to do as a full time business at the moment as I have too big a gap in the portfolio. So if I do decide to plunge £40k into staring up a business (rough researched estimate a couple of years ago to get a dedicated unit, equipment, appropriate insurances and a bit of marketing) then I’ll need to do it on the side for a couple of years first to build up the portfolio again and get a decent name for myself.

Ref engine. I use a pressure washer but I have a variable pressure lance. I use it on its slowest setting and keep the engine running whenever I’m rinsing, avoiding the air intake. You don’t want to hydro lock and engine that’s for sure!

To be honest as long as you’re careful then you should be ok. If you don’t have a variable pressure lance then using a garden hose on a shower type spray and water pressure turned down should suffice.

Most modern cars you don’t need to go round wrapping electrics etc. I don’t on any car but I have an air hose and compressor to blow water away from all fuse boxes etc on older cars and use it regardless when cleaning an engine.

Easiest way to do it is get an all purpose cleaner that has a degreasant it. I use Autosmart G101. Then get a pastry brush and use that to work the cleaner into all the nooks and crannies. The 303 protection keeps the plastic looking good. Tip for that is leave on overnight and wipe off the excess in the morning. Give it time to soak in properly.

The engine on this car I don’t think had ever been cleaned. Once you’ve got it clean then once a month in summer should suffice. In winter I would clean at least every 2wks and more often than not weekly. But it wouldn’t take much to do and was generally more of a wipe over. A lot depends on how well the seals work around the bonnet and Mercedes seals are generally quite good I’ve found. Apart from this car! :D
Thanks for the advice Carl, I was guessing at you being in the forces but I didn't want to ask. When I have jet washed the grill i didn't think about the air intakes, I will take better care next time. But will clean the engine bay more, I had done this a little before so not too bad.
Maybe you could go into business with someone else that also has the same passion?

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
you would love my jimny engine carl... that's been under muddy water many times and its way beyond cleaners.. I think a hammer and chisel would be the solution... thank god its Japanese with high quality waterproof connectors everywhere !!!

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Thanks for the advice Carl, I was guessing at you being in the forces but I didn't want to ask. When I have jet washed the grill i didn't think about the air intakes, I will take better care next time. But will clean the engine bay more, I had done this a little before so not too bad.
Maybe you could go into business with someone else that also has the same passion?

I couldn’t do it with someone else. I wouldn’t trust them to do it to the same standard. Not because I think I’m better than everyone else (far from it). I’m just CDO and if I’m going to put my name to something then I need to have done it.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Using a garden hose on a shower type spray and water pressure turned down should suffice.

Exactly how I did mine

No need to wrap them up, most modern car electrics are well sealed against the elements

Same process I used, worked really well and the engine was spotless

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Exactly how I did mine

No need to wrap them up, most modern car electrics are well sealed against the elements

Same process I used, worked really well and the engine was spotless
Will try this next time. I suppose the large engine cover does well at keeping all the important bits dry?
If my wife catches me cleaning the engine bay next she will definitely leave me.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Will try this next time. I suppose the large engine cover does well at keeping all the important bits dry?
If my wife catches me cleaning the engine bay next she will definitely leave me.

Mine before and after

C350 Engine Bay.JPG

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive

Mine was ‘ecstatic’ the day she found an alloy wheel in the dishwasher. Fortunately for me it was the last of the four. :p

She’s still with me. :)

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mine was ‘ecstatic’ the day she found an alloy wheel in the dishwasher. Fortunately for me it was the last of the four. :p

She’s still with me. :)
But the important things is, did it do a good job?

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
But the important things is, did it do a good job?

Surprisingly yes. But it does have a 70deg wash and I did coat them in autosmart smart wheels first. :D

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wow, so you can jet wash all those areas? Looks great.

No jet washing, just a rinse with a hose with spray attachment, no pressure needed

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No jet washing, just a rinse with a hose with spray attachment, no pressure needed
Is it best practice to cover the air intakes to stop any water from getting to the important parts?

Edit: Just found a whole with the air intake box each side to drain any water than gets in. Probably wouldn't stop a hydro lock from a lot of water!!

Last edited:
OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Is it best practice to cover the air intakes to stop any water from getting to the important parts?

Edit: Just found a whole with the air intake box each side to drain any water than gets in. Probably wouldn't stop a hydro lock from a lot of water!!

Unless you’re spraying the water direct into the intake you’ll be fine.

Think about when you’re on the motorway at 70mph, it’s raining and all the spray coming from trucks and other cars hits the front of the car. You don’t get hyrdolock then. So you will be ok.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Unless you’re spraying the water direct into the intake you’ll be fine.

Think about when you’re on the motorway at 70mph, it’s raining and all the spray coming from trucks and other cars hits the front of the car. You don’t get hyrdolock then. So you will be ok.
Good point Carl. Cheers.

Top Bottom