Oh Deary me .. has my wonderful local Main Dealer adopted the new MB Philosophy!

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Had a call with the “new” Technical Workshop manager ..... tbh bricking myself at the thought of the impending bill!

Many critisize their Main Dealers even calling them Stealers ... regarding mine, in the past that would have been offensively unjustifued with mine.. they were Great!

Hopefully I am wrong, but call it a gut feel ...

Whereas in the past, the old highly technical manager; would have instantly latched onto my logic of asking the technician to read the last 3 Mobilo breakdown reports ( supplied) and the 5 Star reports ... and my summary notes highlighting what the Mobilo tech said were the key indicators i.e. piggy back off the work done and 7 hours! of time [= £] taken looking at an intermittent fault. And maybe just sort the bad earth out ... and if it works job done!

But this one said something like “ well of course we will have to do our own diagnostics, and take it from there.”
And definitely didnt seem to take on board my counter of “I would normally completely agree, but in this instance, as proved by the first 2 breakdown reports, where no current faults could be found. It would seem logical to apply the recommended fix diagnosed at the one time the fault did show up (especially as its exceptionally cheap, and the alternative possibility is imo relatively expensive £1,061 plus hours of labour).

The previous chap would have said something reasonble like “that seems like a good plan, but you realise if we dont do a fully comprehensive check, we cant guarrantee we have definitely got the issue 100% sorted. However as long as you realise this, in light of the intermittent nature of the fault ; it might be sensible to go that route initially, and then if it comes back permenantly we can zone in on the true fault.”

All I could say was “I really dont want a lot of time spent chasing an intermittant fault, if its not manifesting itself at the moment. As I realise you could rack up £1,000 of fruitless diagnostics ... charges ...ending up with a ‘Sorry but we couldnt find anything wrong’ !”

OK in fairness he did not challenge anything specifically, or say anything wrong, but I just got the gut feeling, this new manager just wanted the rich and stupid customers , who gave them a carte blanche authorisation to do anything.

Hopefully the trio of really bright technical sub managers get involved.

I hope he was just busy, and I dont get stung.

As for getting help to replace the defective battery that passes the RAC battery test.
He actually said “ I am not sure there is warranty on a battery .. I will have to check into this!”
**** me .. did he really say that?
This smells of a purely commercial guy, who got the job based on a great interview sales pitch of “ I will radically improve the bottom line of the Repair Workshop”.
So I don't see much help forthcoming there.

Note: in the past even if the battery could start the car, and had the acceptable min. volts; Mobilo engineers could take the sim card out of the Midtronics Battery tester and put it into the Star Xentry kit? And look at the cells and the ampage under load. They no longer can or allowed to do that.
If the Volts are OK and the car starts, the battery “breakdown issue” is deemed resolved. The fact that under load it goes legs up! Is irrelevant ... that is pushed to your next impending breakdown. I see this as fundamental!
The RAC sees it as great. Good First time fix stats, frees up the breakdown guy quicker for the next call, and they get paid again for your next guarranted breakdown.

Call me stupid, but my Gut feeling is I should have pushed the old dear to MBS ! Lol :):)

Lets hope I am pleasantly surprised, as the only other localish Dealer near me has already fully endorsed the New Mercedes Concept of Customer Service, namely by applying these rules:-
1. Front absolutely any interaction with the customer with a cretinatious “Call Handler Service “Manager” Agent. Who isnt even qualified to manage himself taking a leak.
2. NEVER EVER EVER let the customer talk to a good Technician.
3. Always do untold amounts of Star Diagnostics , which they are then unable to interept correctly.
4. Where ever possible, always replace any expensive module, until you hit the jackpot!
5. If possible, dont actual fix the problem totally, so you can screw him over again on the return.
6. Never do anything for free, even if its justified to do so.
7. Dont worry if the Customer complains to MB UK ... hell they will just refer it back to the Dealer.

Last edited:

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I thought all your problems were solved by fixing the bad earth?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.

I thought that too. You could do the bad earth yourself?

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

The mobilo tech. Managed to see the problem this time.
Sadly the bad earth ring nut was totally siezed on. He felt to apply any more pressure risked shearing the stud off the body.
He said he could only be 100% sure if he could get it off , clean it up and make a good earth and then check it.
Being over cautious he said it was better to let the workshop undo the nut.

He was pretty positive this was the issue, as he showed me the connection from the harness to the body ground point was intermittently ranging from poor to non existent.

By then the ESP controller had gone totally offline so he could not test that further .
He said if he could, and that was OK, then there was a small chance the Brake light switch could also be slightly faulty i.e. when the volts were low.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I thought that too. You could do the bad earth yourself?

See above reply, and apparrently if totally disconeccted, I may have to have STAR to “reconfigure or set it up” sorry cant remember his wording.

In any event, as at times it no had zero connection; for H&S reasons, even if it came back, he would have to advise me it needed to be low loaded.
Something about going completely off line instantly, and causing the heavy steering ... dangerous if it hit me suddenly on a fast bend.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
This smells of a purely commercial guy, who got the job based on a great interview sales pitch of “ I will radically improve the bottom line of the Repair Workshop”.

To be fair, what else would they pitch? I suppose they also have to maintain good customer satisfaction ratings but my experience of complaining to dealerships / manufacturers (not just Mercedes) is they couldn't give a toss so the ratings can't be that big a deal (or they fudge them). Mercedes used to publish each dealer's rating but they don't now.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
See above reply, and apparrently if totally disconeccted, I may have to have STAR to “reconfigure or set it up” sorry cant remember his wording.

In any event, as at times it no had zero connection; for H&S reasons, even if it came back, he would have to advise me it needed to be low loaded.
Something about going completely off line instantly, and causing the heavy steering ... dangerous if it hit me suddenly on a fast bend.
Utter tosh. Disconnect the battery, fix the earth, reconnect the battery.
A dremel down the side of the nut will shift it safely in no time.Run a die over the threads, fit new nut (with plenty of copperslip). Around 10 minutes work.

There does seem to be a strong liking for carting cars around on low loaders these days. I was watching a program on the TV the other day about the A1 and there was a woman who had a flat tyre. The policeman tried to get the nuts undone using the standard car toolkit but the wrench was knackered. Never tried the wrench from his own car to see if it would fit. Cue low loader being called. Car duly winched onto low loader and carted away - again why not just change the damned wheel using the tools in the low loader? Someone of course will be paying the bill for the low loader (and if the AA/RAC/other recovery agency you can bet we all do).

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
A dremel down the side of the nut will shift it safely in no time.Run a die over the threads, fit new nut (with plenty of copperslip). Around 10 minutes work.

There does seem to be a strong liking for carting cars around on low loaders these days. I was watching a program on the TV the other day about the A1 and there was a woman who had a flat tyre. The policeman tried to get the nuts undone using the standard car toolkit but the wrench was knackered. Never tried the wrench from his own car to see if it would fit. Cue low loader being called. Car duly winched onto low loader and carted away - again why not just change the damned wheel using the tools in the low loader? Someone of course will be paying the bill for the low loader (and if the AA/RAC/other recovery agency you can bet we all do).

Similarly, back in the old days, my wife drove through a deep puddle and couldn't restart. The AA technician couldn't undo the distributor cap and had the car and passengers transported over 100 miles home. I managed to undo the screws the following day without too much effort and dried out the inside of the cap etc and all was fine.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

I was very keen to see it sorted when the dam fault was showing.
But was trapped, if for H&S rules he had to advise me not to drive it; as I am with MB insurance, if in the one in a billion chance it caused an accident ... I would have been stuffed.

Faced with that the only upside was I hoped the Dealer would also at the same time, see all the battery and Star tests showing 11.48V and 12.0V and might convince MB to replace the Battery under warranty .... without handing me a battery test and Star test fee!

Q. COULD THIS WORK?
If ever faced with this bad earth type of issue again.
Could I attach one end of a heavy duty Jump Lead to the earthing wire part of the suspect Harness (on a section that makes a good contact).
And then attach the other end of the jump lead, to the Vehicle’s official (top hat) Ground point?
(my thoughts being, Ok its a longer bit of cable, but at least 10x thicker, so no resistance issues )

I.e. bridging the poor, rusty connection section.
Wouldnt that at least prove the connection was the problem on a temporary test basis?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Q. COULD THIS WORK?
If ever faced with this bad earth type of issue again.
Could I attach one end of a heavy duty Jump Lead to the earthing wire part of the suspect Harness (on a section that makes a good contact).
And then attach the other end of the jump lead, to the Vehicle’s official (top hat) Ground point?
(my thoughts being, Ok its a longer bit of cable, but at least 10x thicker, so no resistance issues )

I.e. bridging the poor, rusty connection section.
Wouldnt that at least prove the connection was the problem on a temporary test basis?

Yes, of course it would work, why wouldn't it?

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
To be fair, what else would they pitch? I suppose they also have to maintain good customer satisfaction ratings but my experience of complaining to dealerships / manufacturers (not just Mercedes) is they couldn't give a toss so the ratings can't be that big a deal (or they fudge them). Mercedes used to publish each dealer's rating but they don't now.

In fairness to this dealer they have been brilliant so far.
The only time I ever had to complain in 28 years with 11 Mercedes.
Was ironically with a newish A Class battery. It suddenly failed to start the car, just died. Again no drain.
After my wife had called Mobilo out 7 times to get her home. I Put the car into the Dealers and said I was positive this battery was crap! Please get it replaced under warranty.
I was presented with a bill for £460 worth of diagnostics. They had disconnected the Dan Track Satellite Tracker as that was the only thing non Mercedes that STAR could not test.

I was very busy with my new Company, so just paid it and said nothing!
2 Days later the effing car wont start flat battery.
So I told the wife to drive to the dealer and get them to fit a new battery ... they phoned me saying the battery was OK and I shouldnt waste my money.

I actually said “I dont give a sh*t what your effing Star system says, put a new battery in and put it on my account”
They did and guess what she has run perfectly and started first turn of the key for 6 years!

When I was waiting for a service on my SL500, the Manager came over and asked how I was. I did in passing mentioned how the new battery had sorted the A Class and that I did think its mental to charge £460 for diagnostics, when the part only costs £140 plus £15 fitting.

As I was leaving he came up to me, and said he had reviewed the job notes and my countless insistance that the battery was defective.
And that he had credited the full £460.
Now thats what I call customer service
Note I wasnt angry, didnt even ask for a refund.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I bet they run and hide when you pull up outside the dealers;):D

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I bet they run and hide when you pull up outside the dealers;):D

Funny you say that.
I know a bunch of old style MB owners, and they reckon we get the level of service we deserve.
The fact people like you think I am outrageously fussy, and just accept being ripped off .. allowed Mercedes to move from fabulous customer service to treating everyone as if they had bought a Ford! :):)

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
1. Thick.
2. Couldn’t be *rsed.
3. Has a cash agreement with the towing company on referrals.
4. All of the above.

Normally I would agree, but this one certainly wasnt thick. He was a good guy, one you would want to see if you broke down.

Probably just corporate ethos .. “we are a breakdown service not a mobile repair workshop”

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Funny you say that.
I know a bunch of old style MB owners, and they reckon we get the level of service we deserve.
The fact people like you think I am outrageously fussy, and just accept being ripped off .. allowed Mercedes to move from fabulous customer service to treating everyone as if they had bought a Ford! :):)
Ford have a good CS rep...

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Just wondered why the Mobilo guy didnt try that?

I'd have blasted it with an impact wrench 4 seconds, cleaned it up, then nip up with a socket all in all <3 mins work. Then test again notice there's no comms and suggest you buy a new ABS module (as they are DTF and yours very oddly just got to the 7 to 9 year time to fail deadline)

it would be lovely to think an earth caused it, but that's as likely as me winning the lottery tonight

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom