Oh the Shame......

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Stick to your story

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
television said:
I have a slight problem, while out on a test drive from a potential buyer,we went through a speed camera at 70 mph on a 60 mph road. The driver does not live in the UK,and I threw away his details as he did not want the car. I cant give an exact address now, only the town, and the Essex Police are getting very nasty saying that if I cant give his address the fine and points will be down to me.
You can't plead guilty to something you didn't do (although that may seem like an easy option).

If the Police don’t believe you then you will be summonsed for failing to provide the drivers details. If that happens, you’ll have to go before the Magistrates and convince them that your story is true. If they don’t believe you then you’ll get a fine and some points.

Have a look at Pepipoo – your’s is an S172 offence: http://www.pepipoo.com/Section_172.htm

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Rory said:
You can't plead guilty to something you didn't do (although that may seem like an easy option).

If the Police don’t believe you then you will be summonsed for failing to provide the drivers details. If that happens, you’ll have to go before the Magistrates and convince them that your story is true. If they don’t believe you then you’ll get a fine and some points.

Have a look at Pepipoo – your’s is an S172 offence: http://www.pepipoo.com/Section_172.htm

Thank you again Rory for the info, I will keep you posted.

Malcolm

OP
O
Reaction score
ouch! I'm pretty miffed but at least I can only blame myself for the hanous crime of being 3mph over the tolerance. I thought the police had to prove you were driving the car but I wouldn't like to argue that one. It may be worth getting some legal advice before your fines increase.

You have my sympathy.

Brett

Reaction score
Personally, I think you're missing the point. You did 38mph in a 30mph zone, knowing that the limit was 30mph. Who knows what your car's speedo was reading. If my three year old son (who has no road sense) shot out into the road when you happened to be passing, he would almost certainly be dead. Ok, at 30mph he may also be, but there is a slightly better chance he will survive compared with you doing 25% above the limit.

Personally, I have no sympathy with people being prosecuted for speeding in built-up areas. Just my 2p's worth.

Retired

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL 420CDI
If the 30mph limit was appropriate then I think Brett has a valid point.

The difficulty is that many speed limits seem to be quite arbitrary leading to a general disrespect for the posted limit. I know of quite a few roads with a 30 limit and I have no idea why and, conversely, roads with 40 or 50 limits that ought to be slower.

Last edited:
OP
O
Reaction score
I was waiting for the "oh you complete criminal" brigade to chip in. My point is that I have driven aprrox 600,000 miles in the last 20 years and this is my first ticket. Can you honestly say that you have NEVER been over the speed limit? I think that is incredably unlikely. And as for the figures of how much more likely you are to kill a child I can 100% assure you my car will stop MUCH quicker than a old Ford Cortina and yet the same speed limits apply. Explain that one. It is also a modern car that is designed to be more "predestrian friendly" but that isn't taken into account either.

Brett, I did NOT drive through a 30mph zone chuckling all the way thinking how cool I was to get away with doing 3mph over the allowance, or even thinking that I was doing 3 mph over the allowance. I was just trying to get to work. I would also like to know what your 3 year old son would be doing wandering around a country lane on his own at 7:30 in the morning. Perhaps you are not suitable to be a parent if you think that kind of behaviour is acceptable.

If you honestly think that you can drive 30,000 miles a year and do it all exactly within the speed limit you are seriously fooling yourself.

tom7035

Reaction score
I re-iterate my previous post;

'You all have my sympathies, but a wee point re. speed limits. They are not there to curb the speed of a RESPONSIBLE driver, but the general cross-section of drivers - and the analogy there is like driving in convoy, the speed of the convoy has to match the slowest vehicle, i.e. they are there to curb the speed of the poorest drivers and, unfortunately, there are far more of the latter than the former.'

I also appreciate 'Let he who is without sin .................... etc.'

OP
O
Reaction score
Wasn't really you the comments were aimed at Tom. Btw, horses can be FAR more dangerous than cars when they are on the road, or more to the point those riding or transporting them can be far more dangerous. In most cases the horse has far more common sense that the idiot sitting on it's back, or lugging it along at 30mph in a 60 limit during rush hour. Those are the people who should get points, not those who genuinly make a mistake once every 20 years. There should be an offence of "premediated traffic jams" for all horse box owners.

Everyone who drives a car gets it wrong occasionally otherwise we wouldn't need insurance.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
OmniCognateNeutronRangler said:
There should be an offence of "premediated traffic jams" for all horse box owners.

ooh - perhaps a bit harsh?
What about caravans - they don't have any livestock to frighten.
And trucks!
Anyway, it's the M40 I believe, where on the dual carriageway they actually have an experimental "trucks can't overtake" stretch. I have to say that this stretch was a pleasure - no blasting past before he pulls out for his 5 minute overtaking menouver - more please!

OP
O
Reaction score
I have no issue at all with horse boxes going at what ever speed they want (or trucks, or people in hats). What I do have an issue with is inconsiderate driving. If you must drive really slowly, and I accept there are occasionally genuine reasons to do so, then pull over occasionally and let people pass. Check your mirrors occasionally and if there are more than 10 cars behind you, you really need to get out of the way before you cause an accident.

Given my current over-use of the speed limiter and cruise control I check my mirrors regularly (always did) and even though I AM doing the speed limit I'd rather get out of the way of someone who wants to exceed it than cause an accident by having him/her overtake where it is not safe to do so.

Why horses and horse boxes? Well, I live in the country and there are rather a lot of them and they are the rudest drivers in the world. Even the tractors pull over periodically to let people pass. I'll give you the caravan point though....

Last edited:

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
Blobcat said:
My point entirely.
I would be careful on the M6 - A74 - M74 section just north of Carlisle, a fair few lorry drivers fall asleep there so the Police are usually around there somewhere. The are also quite a few spots for camera vans on that section (as my brother's licence can attest to)

top stuff. am going up that way, well back down it next week. shall have a poke about for the odd police car. I may even drive annoyingly slowly and see how many people i can make irate. i could even rig up the video camera to face backwards so you can all enjoy the redness or others:evil: !

maybe not

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Watched the repeat of Top Gear goes on a caravan holiday yesterday, absolute class.

BarryG

Reaction score
television said:
I have a slight problem, while out on a test drive from a potential buyer,we went through a speed camera at 70 mph on a 60 mph road. The driver does not live in the UK,and I threw away his details as he did not want the car. I cant give an exact address now, only the town, and the Essex Police are getting very nasty saying that if I cant give his address the fine and points will be down to me.

malcolm

Just wondered if you got this sorted Malcolm?
Hope you didnt end up with the points.

I took my 3 points like a man ( Crying as I licked the envelope with my license and check in:p )

Barry

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
BarryG said:
Just wondered if you got this sorted Malcolm?
Hope you didnt end up with the points.

I took my 3 points like a man ( Crying as I licked the envelope with my license and check in:p )

Barry
So sorry about your points, I got off with mine. They wrote to me three times demanding to know the name and address of the driver, I said that it was unreasonable that I should have to go to Sweden to find him. Then a leter came say that as the car was sold, they would drop it. I see since then that a guy got 3 months for saying what I said, and this rule is going to be tightened up. I can see it coming that it will be as Sweden, the registered keeper will get the points. Since I cant have camaras on the Command I will put in a warning / location device.

tell me Barry, do you know why theyt put the Queens head on a stamp.

Malcolm

BarryG

Reaction score
television said:
So sorry about your points, I got off with mine. They wrote to me three times demanding to know the name and address of the driver, I said that it was unreasonable that I should have to go to Sweden to find him. Then a leter came say that as the car was sold, they would drop it. I see since then that a guy got 3 months for saying what I said, and this rule is going to be tightened up. I can see it coming that it will be as Sweden, the registered keeper will get the points. Since I cant have camaras on the Command I will put in a warning / location device.

tell me Barry, do you know why theyt put the Queens head on a stamp.

Malcolm

Im assuming most people wouldnt want to lick her backside if it was a full figure picture:D

Oh and pleased you didnt get stuck with someone elses points.

Last edited:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom