oil in water on sprinter 312

chris cross

Reaction score
Got a Mercedes Sprinter 312. Noticed the other day oil dripping underneath it. Switched off engine and investigated. Oil on dipstick is within limits but lower than normal. No creamy deposits or water appears present. If i dip my finger in radiator header tank its just pure thick black oil. Started engine again, engine appears to run and rev fine. Was never overheating or knocking. Realised that drips of oil originally seen were coming from radiator overflow. Shut down engine again after only 30 seconds or so. Then removed top hose at engine end to find thick black oil running out?

Someone has told me it could be head gasket or oil cooler failed. I'm struggling to believe its head gasket as oil all seems to be in the water in a big way with no real signs of water being in the oil.

I'm at a loss with this and would appreciate opinions or advice from other members. Engine has covered around 250,000 so not high for one of these.

RichieMB

Reaction score
Sorry Chris but brianbrian is correct- head gasket it is. off with his head. The oil in the top hose may be a different issue. but you need to get the head gasket done first to find out. Post again when you have done it and we'll see if it needs anything else doing. I have recently had the oil in manifold problem myself.... all sorted now. thanks to DieselMan and my local merc mech..

OP
C

chris cross

Reaction score
Thanks Brian....Is the head gasket much of a job? I've done transits etc before but this look a lot more complicated! I was mainly confused by the amount of pure thick black oil coming through the top hose and filling the header tank. I did think it may have been the oil cooler. I swapped this with a secondhand one I had but to no avail. I've run it a couple of miles then re-drained the water. After topping up with fresh water I've then brought it up to temp only to find same again ...thick black oil.

I've owned the truck from new and I remember having the head gasket done at the local Merc garage when it was about 2 years old. I seem to remember being charged about 10 hours labour which is worrying as to how big a job it is. I don't suppose anyone knows a competant merc mechanic in the Midlands (Coventry area) who could tackle it for me without breaking the bank?

OP
C

chris cross

Reaction score
Hi Ritchie,

Thanks for the response. Don't suppose you know a good diesel mechanic in the Midlands who could help me out at a reasonable rate? If not , can anyone give me a step by step guide on how to tackle the job? Its the timing chain and timing thats my biggest concern.

OP
C

chris cross

Reaction score
Hi Mic, Thanks for the welcome message and yes it has been a nightmare. I've left the truck off the road at the moment as I'm using my other vehicle but I do need to get it sorted soon.

Top Bottom