Oil Pan Gasket replacement

littlewimp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 55 Amg
i need to change the oil pan gasket on my 211 gearbox because of a slight leak, obviously going to do a filter change at the same time, the gearbox functions well but didn't know if there was anything else worth checking while i have the opportunity. and any recommendations for the Service Parts, i will probably use Opie for the oil so perhaps get some engine oil also.
Thanks Neil.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
MB for filter and gasket. Call MB Grangemouth and mention this forum they'll give a nice discount and pop them in the post for £5.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Take a look at the electrical plug outlet too. Most often leaks from there spread around the sump edge.

OP
L

littlewimp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 55 Amg
Thanks for the replies, im planning to take it to my friends workshop tomorrow evening and investigate. i will post my findings.

OP
L

littlewimp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 55 Amg
Well i found the leak ! its the steel pipes than run from the flexibles and connect to the transmission cooler, its looks a bit of a job to replace them but i suppose once the bumpers removed it wont be to bad, better give Mercedes in the morning and get a price.

OP
L

littlewimp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 55 Amg
Well i found the leak ! its the steel pipes than run from the flexibles and connect to the transmission cooler, its looks a bit of a job to replace them but i suppose once the bumpers removed it wont be to bad, better give Mercedes in the morning and get a price.

Struggling to get the correct pipes, have had 2 illustrations e-mailed to me from mercedes and both are showing different pipes with none being correct for mine, will give it another go tomorrow.

OP
L

littlewimp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 55 Amg
Struggling to get the correct pipes, have had 2 illustrations e-mailed to me from mercedes and both are showing different pipes with none being correct for mine, will give it another go tomorrow.

New replacement Pipes and oil arrived, so i should hopefully be fitting them on the weekend looks a fairly straightforward job once the bumpers been removed !

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
Hi. I had the same issue with the pipes to the cooler leaking, although they were leaking at the clip nearest the radiator. My mechanic had the devil of a time trying to get the pipe ends out of the radiator. They were quite close to the front of the engine and required the belt and a couple of bits to be removed and then he discovered that they had siezed solid into the plastic radiator housing. He took three days to remove the second pipe, by which time he'd sourced a new radiator as it was clear that neither the pipe nor the radiator would survive the exercise. It eventually came out as clean as a whistle once he'd managed to get the pipe end moving. It turned out that the aluminium pipe had corroded and reacted with the plastic to effectively weld it in. Just be very careful with the radiator. You'll probably need to clean up the entry hole, but the sealing face will be OK.

As for the bolts in the sump pan, you don't need new ones if the old ones came out OK. They only go in to about 10Nm. As long as the rubber gasket is either in good condition, or new, it will all be fine.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I would replace them. Things like that have a tendency to shear of difficult to remove. Good luck with the job. Keep us posted

OP
L

littlewimp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 55 Amg
Eventually found time to change the two transmission pipes, at one point i didn't hold out much hope in removing the lower one from the cooler but fortunately i managed to unscrew the fitting from the radiator with a short section of the corroded pipe still attached, i media blasted it which then enabled me to remove the pipe and refit. the job went relatively good once i figured out how everything was pieced together, i also managed to change the transmission filter and pan gasket but as there isn't a level tube in the pan i am a little uncertain on capacity, i do have a dipstick and think that i read previously that the level was some 67 mm but wanted to clarify before re filling it tomorrow. any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom