Oil Pressure / Level Sensor fault...

Dave92

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI W203 2005(54)
I have been searching around the interwebs to try and find a solution for this (or even a definite diagnosis). The car through up an EML, jumped into limp mode and displayed an "oil sensor faulty visit workshop" message on the dash while my mate was driving his W203 C220 CDI home from work.

I had a quick fiddle, made a few phone calls, and came to the conclusion that it must be the common oil level sensor fault. This was made more apparent by the fact that the car threw the sensor message when trying to measure the oil with the "hidden" menu and didn't display oil level.

Much searching later, I ended up at Mercedes buying a new oil level sensor. It supposedly had an oil change ~3-4 months ago when he got it, but the oil seems a fair bit older than that and the old sensor did seem to have a little sludge buildup on the outside so I felt confident fitting the new sensor would resolve the issue.

New sensor in, filled up with quality oil, but what do you know the error is still there. Convinced myself the code just needed to be erased and called a mate as I seem to have misplaced my reader, and his reader says: Oil Pressure Sensor, MAF, and Voltage C Circuit Low.

That's where I'm currently at, I can't seem to find an Oil Pressure Sensor for this car only the Level Sensor. Unplugging the MAF doesn't do anything and seems to be grounded fine. I'm a bit lost now, I've yet to test the wiring to the sensors but other than that I'm thinking main dealer jobbie to be told it's going to cost a few hundred for some poxy 6 inch length of wire or something. Anyone had a similar problem or think they can shed some light on this gremlin? It's a really nice car and low mileage for the year...

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
Ask the dealership to show you where the engine oil pressure switch is located on the engine block, if there is one? when you go to price a new sender unit in the parts department. (It is normally located close to the oil filter housing on most engines but your model may not have one). I have one, but had to install it myself.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dave92

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI W203 2005(54)
Well this just got a whole lot more interesting...

Took car to Mercedes today, apparently there was an old code stored for the Level Sensor and a current code for the boost pressure sensor. They fitted a new boost pressure sensor for free (nice of them) cleared the codes and told me to collect the car.

However the moment I tried to check the oil with the hidden menu I had the fault pop back up, I then started the car and hey presto! EML is back on! Techs had gone home but one of the sales guys who used to be a techie offered to take a look. They're going to check SIPs and give me a call tomorrow, promising to get to the bottom of the problem. Anyone had anything like this, they did confirm that there is no other oil sensor or switch on this car, and that the code was definitely because of the level sensor. Also it was definitely a genuine Mercedes part from Mercedes.

nunogia

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 220 CDI
Well this just got a whole lot more interesting...

Took car to Mercedes today, apparently there was an old code stored for the Level Sensor and a current code for the boost pressure sensor. They fitted a new boost pressure sensor for free (nice of them) cleared the codes and told me to collect the car.

However the moment I tried to check the oil with the hidden menu I had the fault pop back up, I then started the car and hey presto! EML is back on! Techs had gone home but one of the sales guys who used to be a techie offered to take a look. They're going to check SIPs and give me a call tomorrow, promising to get to the bottom of the problem. Anyone had anything like this, they did confirm that there is no other oil sensor or switch on this car, and that the code was definitely because of the level sensor. Also it was definitely a genuine Mercedes part from Mercedes.
Hi,

These symptoms were exactly like mine is having.
Replaced sensor with 2 different ones, one don't even send data to ecu, other send but keeps faulty.

What was the outcome to fix it?

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom