OLD FAVOURITE - ESP/SPEEDTRONIC SL350 2006

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Not sure if you are aware MBGB but (and I am assuming that you are referring to the cruise control switch) when the LED light on the switch is ON Cruise control is OFF and wont work. When the light is OFF cruise control is activated and will work. Speedtronic is activated (and will show on instruments IIRC) when the light is ON. Confusing isn't it? Apologies if I have misread what you have been saying but your references to overdrive has confused it.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yeah the overdrive reference threw me

OP
MBGB

MBGB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 2011 & ML 350 2014 AMG SPORT
Peter,
Yes roger that. I read it back to, knew what I wanted to say, but not as clear when written down. Clearly the stalk does nothing when the Speedtronic words are up. This model is pre lights on the dash, just words, thank God!

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No problem MBGB . Sometimes its difficult to explain fairly complicated stuff in writing isn't it. Ours is a 2004 SL350 so should be the same dash as yours. I am trying to envisage what your dash is actually displaying to flag up the faults. Can you clarify? Aphoto would be useful. What happens when you press the ESP switch- anything? Dont you just love the electrickery in an MB?

OP
MBGB

MBGB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
After having it cleared down yesterday, I just started it up, the warning beep came up followed by the message Speedtronic go to workshop. I then pressed the ESP button and a yellow triangle came up on the screen for a second, then followed by the words Speedtronic & Defective Go to workshop ESP. Also turned the wheels in the stationery position and the ABS words came up too..............blimey hope this is sorted out soon its doing my head in, like it does, know doubt all MB engineers!! The ESP switch on the console is probably the only switch without a confirmation light.
Does that all answer your questions?

Last edited:
OP
MBGB

MBGB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL DASH ISSUE IMG_1951.JPG SL DASH ISSUE IMG_1952.JPG

Slight word difference on the ESP display

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ah I see thanks for that info. With that displayed I can't see how the dealer couldn't diagnose. Strange. Earlier in the year we had a barrage of lights displayed including the ESP one. Local indie only took 10 minutes on Star to diagnose faulty alternator. Sounds as though your guy has cracked it now- hope he can sort quickly for you.

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 September 2014 3500cc 7G Auto Iridium Silver R231
Isn't it wonderful how these cars amuse/bemuse us?
I am intrigued by the interaction between the Electronic Stability Programme and the Alternator?
But then, on an (recently dispensed with, malpainted, stripped and butchered by Merc.) SLK350 we had to replace a faulty nearside front disc brake sensor, which caused the dashboard to illuminate like New Years Eve on the Thames.
The ESP would not work, because the car could not be sure of its' speed.
Ditto speedtronic/cruise control.
Ditto tyre pressure sensors.
Ditto opening roof!!!
I suspect there was a Gnome of Stuttgart, somewhere embedded in the software, wondering if we passengers could be allowed to alight safely from the car and consequently considering a refusal to release the seat belts...
Our local 'Star Man' eventually traced the problem without the threatened £100 'diagnostic charge' from the MB franchisee.
Hope you'll get to the bottom of the problem in a reasonably painless manner.

OP
MBGB

MBGB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes booked in with the guy who will resolve the issue on the 2nd August and will definitely report back, hopefully with the fault isolated..........failing that I'll find my old service Webley lol

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 September 2014 3500cc 7G Auto Iridium Silver R231
Yes booked in with the guy who will resolve the issue on the 2nd August and will definitely report back, hopefully with the fault isolated..........failing that I'll find my old service Webley lol
Is that the one with an Electronic Stability Programme?!!!!

OP
MBGB

MBGB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
lol

OP
MBGB

MBGB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well guys. This was a long journey of 5 weeks to achieve.
The STAR system told us it was one of two issues that caused the ESP/SPEEDTRONIC issues to occur.

The first part was to change the O/S SAM unit, which on closer inspection had a lot of water inside it and connectors needed cleaning, no doubt caused by poor fitting by Merc Service engineers leaving it not closed properly, where water entered from the seating or the rubbers around the bonnet.
However, this didn't cure the issue totally, and gave a sporadic result on reset, with ignition on/off.

Used a second hand ABS/ESP control unit outside of what the STAR system was saying where to look and replace.
Partially recitified the problem, but when a new Gateway was fitted and coded......the problem was sorted.
Back to my old car again and hope to enjoy a few more miles in it.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Nariac,
Thanks, yes all original tyre replacements at the same pressures. This particular year and model, does not have a tyre pressure monitor fitted, albeit the computer says it has!

TPMS or lack of, doesn't matter in this case. Cruise control takes speed input from all wheels, if there's a speed differential then it will not work.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom