Old vs New E-class

pb33

Reaction score
Hi There,

Looking at E-class estates. Trying to decide whether to buy an "old" model 2001-2003 320CDI.....or instead throw caution to the wind and buy a 2003-2004 (current model) 320 CDI.

There's about £10K difference (£12-14K vs £25K ish).

Is the older car a false economy? I'd be doing 17K motorway miles a year and my priority is driving comfort and safety (and economy). I'm nervous about investing in 1995-based technology, for little gain in depreciation benefit over 3 years.

Is there much between the drives of these cars? I assume they similar engine technology?

Advice and opinions very welcome!

PB

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Hi
To some extent, its hobsons choice really. A late W210 could have rust issues (though 02 ones should be pretty clear) and an early W211 could have electrical gremlins. That aside, get a good one and I have to say that both are excellent mile munchers. I covered over 60k in my 210 and so far 10k in my 211 and would recommend either for the use you describe. The W210 doesn't handle quite as well as the 211, though it still handles perfectly well, and its a bit shorter on the gadgets but aside from that there isn't anything to choose between them. Get a well specced 210 and the difference is even smaller.
Both are smooth, quiet and safe. To me it came down to styling and toys and the fact that I'd had my 210 for 5 years and fancied a change.

If you like them both equally and aren't bothered to have the latest bodyshell then you could keep the 10k and buy a late 210. As you say, the depreciation has already hit so keep the money in your wallet. The engines are the same and economy virtually identical. The 210 was built like a tank and filled with airbags so safety differences will be minimal.

OP
P

pb33

Reaction score
Excellent advice, as ever. So, the engines are the same in these diesels?
PB

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I'd be wary of the EU3 320CDi engine in the early 211s. Given the dilemma you've got I'd come down on the side of saving the money and avoiding the early 211s, later new shape in EU4 spec should be better. See my post on E320 v E280 yesterday for more info.

OP
P

pb33

Reaction score
Thanks again. You say be wary of the 211 EU3 engines. This doesn't similarly apply to the late 210?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I thought EU4 was the problem. My understanding was that early EU4 engines had poor economy due to the particle filters. MB had simply programmed in some overfueling to get around the power drop. I also understood that MB had pretty much resolved this with software upgrades and updates over the months following the release and that this is why later EU4 ones were better. Going on what people have said on here, the impression I got was that retrofitted software updates applied to the early cars had pretty much solved the problem and even early cars were fine in the end. People seem to have stopped complaining anyway.

Ideally go for an EU3 but if you like trees, and the above is right, there should be nothing fundamentally wrong with an EU4. I wasn't sure wther an EU4 engine was ever fitted to a W210. I suspect it wasn't on the saloon but as the estate was in production later, perhaps they did.
Apparently you can have an EU4 pack retrofitted for £550!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi,

I have a late 2000 E320CDI W210 saloon. I bought it with 17,000 miles on when it was 2 years old and have done 86,000miles more in the last 3 years.
The E320cdi engine was new in 2000 and in early 2000 there was the face lift to the W210 so it is more '2000' than '1995' technology.
On speaking with my MB dealer their recommendation is keep the one I have. At the end of a model life they are the best they have ever been. New models bring out a whole new host of issues which have to be worked out over the models life.
As for economy I have averaged 36.5mpg over 86K miles which I am very happy with. Trip computer thinks I'm getting 40+mpg but I work it out for myself.
I would shop around for a late W210 E320cdi with all the toys

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom