OM642 V6 engine: Air filter procedure: need to recalibrate/adapt?

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No longer own a Mercedes Benz
Hi Guys,

My car's air filters need replacing according to the service book and so I have bought the filters and was hoping to fit them this coming weekenf but when I started googling it I find results which refer to recalibrating or adapting the car to the new filters in order to prevent an EML coming up. It's the car shown in my Sig 2008 C320 CDi with OM642 engine.

Someone please tell me this is a mistake and they are just like every other car I've ever owned in that you drop the new filter in and away you go. Or do they really require a STAR session to adapt them?

Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
I just fitted new ones without any issues.

20 min job on the w219

Easy peasy.

Kenny

andrew056

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 SL320 gone but not forgotten , 2004 240 CLK cabrio, 2006 ML 320cdi gone, GLC AMG 43

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Can't see why it would be necessary to recalibrate anything as an air filter should have a negligible impact on airflow unless its totally caked up.

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok so it was my bad googling then...that's a relief.

Does anyone know of any decent tutorials specifically for this engine? Thanks.

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200 CDI Sport Edition 125 2011 / W215 CL600 Bi-Turbo M275 2002
Sometimes there is a need but mostly in the cases where Air Filter was not replaced on time and it was very dirty making the engine to adjust the values to run properly.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
There IS a reset option for air filter in SDS... but parameters will gradually drift to right values

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Yep , id read about the Star reset option for air filters . I change mine yearly on the om642 with never a problem (4 times now ?)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok so it was my bad googling then...that's a relief.

Does anyone know of any decent tutorials specifically for this engine? Thanks.
Youtube i would think or this forum in the diy section . They are a bit fiddly , but no probs if you take your time and dont force anything . The rear torx bolt on each airbox doesnt come out , just loosen them fully and they remain half in to avoid dropping them . I normally remove the y piece inlet tube and fit another red turbo inlet seal as well , but i understand you dont have to remove this to do the air filters . There are 2 push fit studs that hold each airbox from below , you just need to pull the boxes upward to release them . Then lift the back of the airbox out and up first to pivot the front of the box out of the push fit air inlet .

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Brilliant, just the detail I was hoping for...I'll give it a go this weekend, thanks chaps!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Yep , id read about the Star reset option for air filters . I change mine yearly on the om642 with never a problem (4 times now ?)

I take it you have the flat filters not the massive triangular shaped ones at £80 a pair!!!

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mine have arrived in rectangular boxes...I can tell you that much haha

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interesting design...not seen that type before....I'm really hoping the euro car parts jobbies I have are the right fitment and that I won't be in for a nasty surprise when I open it up.

Ridiculous design, need changing every 30k apparently so mine are due up now

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Every 30k seems like a very long interval no? In previous cars I used to change them every year as they were so cheap. I thought mine were expensive at £40 but compared to yours they're not too bad.

Off topic...I presume your car has had the GAD treatment going by your avatar....what sort of figures are getting from it in terms of performance but also MPG?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Every 30k seems like a very long interval no? In previous cars I used to change them every year as they were so cheap. I thought mine were expensive at £40 but compared to yours they're not too bad.

That is what MB recommend and at £65 a pair I will stick to it, I changed them when I bought it at 38k and they were filthy so they are due a change now as I am about to hit 70k, I have asked MB Grangemouth for a price.

Off topic...I presume your car has had the GAD treatment going by your avatar....what sort of figures are getting from it in terms of performance but also MPG?

It has been mapped by GAD, made a quick car a fast car, in gear acceleration is epic, figure wise around 300bhp and 700Nm of Torque, also makes a massive difference to the driveability, smoother.

MPG hasn't changed

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That is what MB recommend and at £65 a pair I will stick to it, I changed them when I bought it at 38k and they were filthy so they are due a change now as I am about to hit 70k, I have asked MB Grangemouth for a price.

It has been mapped by GAD, made a quick car a fast car, in gear acceleration is epic, figure wise around 300bhp and 700Nm of Torque, also makes a massive difference to the driveability, smoother.

MPG hasn't changed

Wow sounds like an absolute monster...it was no slouch before though to be fair.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I take it you have the flat filters not the massive triangular shaped ones at £80 a pair!!!
Yep £35 (MB) flatties (for the pair ) for me , i must admit i think i save money by changing them , the cars efficiency peaks when i put new ones in .

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom