OM651 rattle

hod05

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 250 cabriolet, 190E 2.0L
Hi all

OM651 has rattle at start up I heard it for about a week on start up a rattle that is loud and dies down after about 2-3 seconds since its done an incredible outstanding milage of just 76,000 I presume its the chain thats stretched and possible sprockets and tensioner too.

I have approved used warranty one month left Im going to call mercedes tomorrow Im not very hopeful as they will either say "it sounds normal sir" or "its within tolerance sir" or some other excuse to avoid doing job till it fails at which point it will be past warranty

has anyone had any luck with the warranty on an expensive job?

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
With one month of your warranty left I would tread extremely carefully depending on the response you get. It could be several things--poly V belt tensioner--alternator overrun pulley--OR the camshafts timing chain/tensioner. Any hint of procrastination or reluctance to acknowledge/investigate the problem I would view with suspicion. If its a Mercedes warranty it can be dealt with by any MB dealer not just the one where you bought the car. The timing chain is at the rear of this engine whereas the alternator and tensioner are at the front so it should be easy to distinguish between them. Try getting a chum to start the car while you listen with the bonnet open to see if you can locate the source of the noise more accurately. Don't get anything caught in the moving parts!

Last edited:

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
There's a test to determine whether it needs a timing chain or tensioner replacement. They might say wear and tear. :(

OP
hod05

hod05

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 250 cabriolet, 190E 2.0L
Yeh having read the warranty it does say that faults caused by design flaws are not covered and the single row chain is certainly a design flaw! it also states that it coverers "complete operational failure" and further elaborates this to mean "actual braking of parts" so presumably since nothing has gone pop YET it won't be covered

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom