On 4th tyre

Mummylyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
M class 2004
I have a mclass 2004 2.7 cdi. My passenger side back tyre is constantly getting a flat! I am now on my 4th tyre. It is currently as flat as a pancake I bought a ring air compressor yesterday and a afterrace sitting out in the rain yesterday for 40 minutes with no inflation I gave up! I need to drive the 1 mile to the tyre shop and it's booked in for an MOT today at 3.30. I also need to get a new bulb for the headlight and pick up my 4 dogs raw meat before 12 now of which I can do as I cannot inflate the tyre? I am unable to put on spare due to a fractured rotator cuff. Valve doesn't look damaged so any ideas why this apparent super little air compressor won't inflate my tyre to at least get me to the tyre shop? Car is costing me so much money! Dunno wether I have just got one with problems attached?

deviousrich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 Sport 2013
sorry to hear that. could the actual wheel be broken / cracked so the tyre itself is fine but the wheel its on is damaged so there isnt a seal? can you hear air escaping?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
If you have gone through more than one new tyre with leaking issues, problem elimination would point to the rim and not the tyre as being the problem.

Go to a tyre repair place and ask them to do a leak test. It may be that you need to have the inside of the wheel rim sealed with rubber cement, not expensive btw.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yip- as above it points to the rim and as Craig says there is a relatively cheap fix..
Bit confused when you say on your 4th tyre though- description just says going flat- something else happening?

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Maybe driving on a flat has ruined each tyre?
Maybe a cracked rim, get a leak check completed.
If cracked, you can get it welded at a wheel refurbisher.

Enlist help of a neighbour?

Uber cab?

Hope the rotater cuff heals ok

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If you have driven on a flat tyre it will destroy it very quickly.
Similarly if the tyre has popped of the rim it won't reinflate no matter what you do with your compressor (there is a technique used in icelandic 4x4 using lighter fluid which is not recommended).
The usual reason for a deflating tyre (other than foreign objects) is corrosion on the bead surface. Your tyre shop should be able to take care of this very easily. If bead surfaces are not the issue the inner rim may have become porous (again easy fix with a can or lacquer) or the rim may have physical damage.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ I did wonder but when the OP was mentioning inflating it I assumed (probably wrongly) that it was being inflated regularly...running on the rims will certainly destroy them (and the rim further)!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom