Opal Fire Red

OP
madtheswine

madtheswine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2.1 AMG sport edition coupe 2014
Looks like i'll have to get mine checked out at Sunderland as there are one or two issues with pitting on the boot lid. Stuck in Ireland at the mo with work so will be next week. I'll let you know how I got on.

Hope you get a full respray. Although you have to have it done in Middleborough. Took mine down to check it out and it going to be about May next year, not bothered as long as it gets sorted. They take all the panels off and respray everything metal, but don't do bumpers or the side skirts and mirror covers.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
Same here, and it nearly always turns out Black !! :rolleyes:

Mine seem to be silver, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merc2011

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI Coupe 2011
Hope you get a full respray. Although you have to have it done in Middleborough. Took mine down to check it out and it going to be about May next year, not bothered as long as it gets sorted. They take all the panels off and respray everything metal, but don't do bumpers or the side skirts and mirror covers.

Took mine to Sunderland and they agreed respray. Then had to take it to Middlesborough paint/repair shop and they also agreed respray. Begining of May or thereabouts and a courtesy car (GLA). I've gone for the option of getting all the plastics done as well so there is no paint mismatch due to age etc. Cost is quite reasonable considering....... Anyway it should be like new when I get it back.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I wonder how many fire opal red cars have paint defects then...??

I look at every one I come across with a very bright LED lamp.

All of them show some degree of micro-blistering in the colour coat.

Not many of them have lacquer peel though.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Took mine to Sunderland and they agreed respray. Then had to take it to Middlesborough paint/repair shop and they also agreed respray. Begining of May or thereabouts and a courtesy car (GLA). I've gone for the option of getting all the plastics done as well so there is no paint mismatch due to age etc. Cost is quite reasonable considering....... Anyway it should be like new when I get it back.

Great news ! Well done.

OP
madtheswine

madtheswine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2.1 AMG sport edition coupe 2014

What did they quote you for all the plastics as well? Thinking I might just get mine all done at the same time.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes seem to have done a great job in respect to keep this Big Problem hush hush ?
The only place I’ve seen this defect talked about is on this forum.
Is it really All fire opal cars affected ?, they are now addressing the problem (As they should) with Full re-paints.
Is this colour still available ? If so what have they done to make sure it doesn’t happen again ?.
Shouldn’t there Have been some sort of recall, or are they just hoping not everyone that has suffered comes forward ?
Sorry lots of questions.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Mercedes seem to have done a great job in respect to keep this Big Problem hush hush ?
The only place I’ve seen this defect talked about is on this forum.
Is it really All fire opal cars affected ?, they are now addressing the problem (As they should) with Full re-paints.
Is this colour still available ? If so what have they done to make sure it doesn’t happen again ?.
Shouldn’t there Have been some sort of recall, or are they just hoping not everyone that has suffered comes forward ?
Sorry lots of questions.

This is what MB do (rust??)
I would say they are all affect, although they have been known to repaint these early on if you press them.
This colour is no longer available it was replaced by hyacinth red

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When I had my 204 5 years ago, and I had the blistering issues, they only repaired the affected panels ( Boot lid, rear quarters) I was told I only got this done as I had Full Main Agent history.
Thinking back now I could have and should have had the Whole vehicle re-painted.
Oh well I think the Ex Mrs has still got it so her problem now ( Every Cloud ) :)

Merc2011

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI Coupe 2011
I look at every one I come across with a very bright LED lamp.

All of them show some degree of micro-blistering in the colour coat.

Not many of them have lacquer peel though.

Yeah, mine has the micro blistering all over. It looks like you've parked your car under a tree and the sap has sprinkled down. You can only see it in a certain light at a certain angle. They said it would probably get worse and could lead to the lacquer peel.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom