Options for sorting bodywork damage

jarvis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A250 (2016)
So, in the high winds this week my 2016 car took some damage from a metal pole. The side of the bonnet is dented as is the wing. The dents aren’t huge but what makes it worse is the paint is cut through down to the metal with some gouges.

I'm torn as to how to proceed with getting it sorted. I am reasonably sure it will need a bonnet and wing respray (it's beyond a smart repair) but not panel replacement. I’ve never had bodywork repaired before.

Options:

1. Go through insurance - my excess is £250 which is fine but will I pay loads more at renewal as I guess this is a ‘fault claim’ (I have protected no claims but that only helps to a point)? Going through insurance might end up with panel replacement etc.? Could I insist it’s done by MB?

2. Sort the repair myself – I’ve had a reputable local company quote £500 based on photos I provided. I’m worried I’ll be able to tell the work has been done though and then will regret not going through insurance.

I know there’s no right or wrong here but interested in people’s views!

Another question – is it OK to dither about this for a while and then still claim on the insurance later or will they say I should have told them immediately and reject the claim?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Ok. £500 seems a good price for the work depending on the level of damage. On the costs its roughly 50/50 as to which will be lower in the long term.
Doing it yourself you have more control over the quality of work done than with an insurance company and its potentially easier to control.
If you're going to claim you need to do it sooner rather than later.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
On this basis I’d get it done myself

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Without viewing the damage personally, then assessing whether £500 is a reasonable price for your repair is just guesswork.

But assuming it is (and in a sense you're the judge as it's your car), then the quality of the finished work is also in your hands.
Have you asked around to see what the reputation of the sprayshop is?
Can you get a second quote as a comparison?

My son runs a bodyshop, and his mantra is that if his work is in any way noticeable after a repair then he has failed!
Any good sprayshop should work to the same ethic.

Unless I'm involved in some major pile up, I would by choice avoid the insurance provider - but that's just one man's take.

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Without viewing the damage personally, then assessing whether £500 is a reasonable price for your repair is just guesswork.
My paintshop works on £300 per panel so bonnet and wing would be £600 for a full spray or half that for a blended spray (if the whole panel doesn't need doing). On that basis I didn't think £500 was bad given he said he needed wing and bonnet.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I'd sort it myself. Insurance companies always invent ways to load next year's premium.

A bloke at work had his insurance loaded one year after a neighbour damaged his car which was parked outside his house. He was inside watching telly :eek:

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
If you have protected bonus then your insurance wont be affected by the claim in any way. They may try and up your premium, but go elsewhere if they don't meet your price.
The repair will then cost you whatever the excess is, so you are saving £250
If you go through the insurance route there may be another £100 to pay if you decide not to use the approved repairer.
£500 is about the price for doing a bonnet and wing. So if they are any good then why not. If you don't mind paying that price.
Can you post some pics of the damage it will give a better idea of the amount of work required.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you have protected bonus then your insurance wont be affected by the claim in any way.
Thats not true.
Whilst they won't hit your NCD they will hit you with an increased premium. Protected NCD is a bit of a con.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Everyone gets hit with an increased premium, its what they do, and there is no real way to compare so they get away with it.
An accident normally means an increase of around 20% in the next year.
With protected bonus they cannot increase the premium because of the accident. And I did say if they increase the premium then look elsewhere.
Imagine thinking that Insurance Co's would ever curve the ball in their favour.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Apologies Lostkiwi if you thought I was having a dig at your post. That was not my intention at all.

I was just making a general observation really, because in trying to help a fellow poster it is tempting to rely on his assessment, which at times can be incomplete or misleading. I can imagine this phone conversation:

Acme Bodyshop here. How can I help you sir?

I need a price for repairs to my car. The side of the bonnet is dented as is the wing. The dents aren’t huge but what makes it worse is the paint is cut through down to the metal with some gouges.

Ah yes - that'll be £500. When would you like the job done?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Apologies Lostkiwi if you thought I was having a dig at your post. That was not my intention at all.

I was just making a general observation really, because in trying to help a fellow poster it is tempting to rely on his assessment, which at times can be incomplete or misleading. I can imagine this phone conversation:

Acme Bodyshop here. How can I help you sir?

I need a price for repairs to my car. The side of the bonnet is dented as is the wing. The dents aren’t huge but what makes it worse is the paint is cut through down to the metal with some gouges.

Ah yes - that'll be £500. When would you like the job done?
No problem! ;)

OP
J

jarvis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A250 (2016)
Thanks for the replies. The question wasn't so much about whether £500 is a good price (although from what you've said it sounds about right), it was more about whether to use insurance.

It seems like the general consensus is to arrange repair myself. I was thinking using insurance might guarantee a better job but doesn't sound like it does.

I'm starting to ask around to get recommendations so will see if I can get confidence in someone before I take the plunge.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
Before I committed to a respray to three panels on mine, the spray shop showed me examples of their work in progress and complete - it gave me significant peace of mind and some confidence!

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Going down the Insurance route takes away a fair bit of your input. These guys tend to negotiate with the insurance companies and leave the owner out of the equation.
If the damage is small and the panels aren't bent or warped then repair is probably the best method, replacing panels usually calls for much more repainting than just repairing the damage.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Insurance and protected NCD is a minefield!
Ever had the discussion when shopping around...
‘Had any claims in the past 5 years?’
‘Yes but I’ve 10 years + protected NCD’
‘That doesn’t matter it’s still a claim so you won’t get 10 years NCD from us or another insurer ‘
‘What’s the point of protecting my NCD then?’
‘Your current insurer will likely hold it’
‘But their premium has increased by 60% this year which is why I’m shopping around ‘
Anyway back on point - for £500 I’d avoid all that hassle and get it done yourself

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Insurance and protected NCD is a minefield!
Ever had the discussion when shopping around...
‘Had any claims in the past 5 years?’
‘Yes but I’ve 10 years + protected NCD’
‘That doesn’t matter it’s still a claim so you won’t get 10 years NCD from us or another insurer ‘
‘What’s the point of protecting my NCD then?’
‘Your current insurer will likely hold it’
‘But their premium has increased by 60% this year which is why I’m shopping around ‘
Anyway back on point - for £500 I’d avoid all that hassle and get it done yourself
Exactly my point. Protected NCD is a con

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom