Overheating Issue

Gizzo1

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c240/2003/v6
I have a crispy 2003 C-240 with some temperature issues. I started taking the train to work so I haven't driven it much over the past month or two. Last weekend it started taking an extra amount of effort turning it over (not sure if this is an independent problem to the temp.).

I tried driving it to work today and heard the fan working much louder than usual. 2 blocks later I decided to check the temperature and it was climbing past 110 degrees C at this point. I pull over to a gas station and showed it to a mechanic really quickly. Fan was working fine, had plenty of coolant (he actually put his finger in the coolant tank and said it was cool), engine didn't seem hot and I recently replaced the radiator and belt so I would imagine that wasn't the issue.

I decide to let it cool off and drive it back home. This time it goes to 120 C but doesn't go into limp mode (I've had my belt snap and had my car go into limp mode well before getting to 120 C last year) and since the engine didn't seem hot at 110 I hoped it was a thermostat issue.

Overall I didn't drive more than 2 miles with the engine at 110 C and I turned it on again after work just to see if I may have blown a gasket (which I can safely say I hadn't).

My theories are that the thermostat is sealed shut, water pump isn't working or my gauge is simply off...

What do you guys think?

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
I'd say you're pretty much on the money and reading through it, before I got to the end, I was thinking stat not opening. But equally might be the water pump. On balance I feel it's the stat. Good luck.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Water pump impeller off it sounds like

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom