P0025 Camshaft position retarded - Bank 2.

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
Another thread on a previously discussed problem.

2006, C230, Petrol 2.5 V6. I'm getting this with the EML coming on. I clear the code [with a Generic code reader] and it is fine for a few days except, as with the time of year, these days are getting shorter.:(

The car continues to drive fine so I'm fairly content that the fault lies within the sensor itself.

It looks easy enough to change but, where to get a replacement from? ECP don't list it. Ace Parts [on Ebay] show a bad review. Chinese? No thanks. MB Grangemouth seem favourite. [Despite the forums US spell-check depiction of 'favorite' :rolleyes:.]

And now for the 'dumb question'.:D With RHD drive, which is Bank 2. Is that kerbside? Or roadside?:confused:

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Before buying a sensor, have the faults read on a star, go through the test and determine if you have a balance gear problem.

OP
K

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
Before buying a sensor, have the faults read on a star, go through the test and determine if you have a balance gear problem.

Thanks but, if that were the case then it wouldn't be economical to repair.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Maybe so but at least you would know what the fault is and not wasted money on a sensor that might not fix the problem. Just food for thought.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
From what I've read about this fault code, it's not an aggressive fault. If it's not an economical repair them just ignore it, it's not going to adversely affect the drivability of the car.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
P0025 is a cam magnet issue from what I understand. The sensor is probably reporting as it should and telling you the cam isn't advancing as it should. The cam magnet may be buggered or it may be something more sinister, but if you can't actually feel a problem and cost of repair is an issue, ignore it.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There are modified cam actuators, a proper star test will tell
If there needed. Star will tell you the new part number if it’s needed.

Last edited:

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I would time it up to 305’ and look at the marks anyway. It’s got balance shaft written all over it.

I do find it funny how some people still think it’s better to throw bits at a fault than actually doing proper diagnosis.

It’s no different to having a water leak coming through your ceiling and replacing the taps in the bathroom sink just in case it might be those....

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom