Parking brake (foot operated) question

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
and an instant failure on your driving test!
my late father in law had to have his car adapted to hand controls after the amputation of his right leg at the knee, otherwise his license was invalid, even though he had a perfectly useable left leg to drive an auto

I suspect that's a load of Horlicks!
:rolleyes::rolleyes: Where does that leave my father-in-law that due a stroke has no use of his right side? He now has a left foot accelerator ...... for his left foot!

I'll check up on the left foot failure, because when I was invited to attend a speed awareness course, the 'examiner' just commented on the fact I might press both pedals.

Anyway ......... I've already passed my test - in 1979

Vamps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jeep Grand Cherokee
:rolleyes::rolleyes: Where does that leave my father-in-law that due a stroke has no use of his right side? He now has a left foot accelerator ...... for his left foot!

I'll check up on the left foot failure, because when I was invited to attend a speed awareness course, the 'examiner' just commented on the fact I might press both pedals.

Tut Tut Tut Andy :eek::eek::eek: and a disability would be the exception, ime, despite previous poster, as in using hand controls...disabled use what is available......they have to take a special assessment and then lessons and a test.....:):) No thumbs up available on this forum????

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)

again, the vehicle has been adapted for his use. at the time, my late father in law was told categorically that without hand controls, he would have to stop driving

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
again, the vehicle has been adapted for his use. at the time, my late father in law was told categorically that without hand controls, he would have to stop driving

Have a read of this http://www.drivingtheorytestquestions.co.uk/guides/using-foot-controls-automatic All references to two foot driving are all suggestions ie most would certainly recommend using the right foot to operate both of the pedals and but otherwise it is best to using the same foot. No reference to being arrested if you use both. ;););)

Anyway, in the grand scheme of things, if you just want to use one foot, that's up to you, and all of us 2 foot drivers will carry on using both!

Chee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E240/2004/2.6 & S350 CDI/2012
Ok, sorry for reviving such an old thread. Thought I could just use this rather than open a new one =)

To my question, does the foot operated "handbrake" holds the car until you release it? It happened a couple of times now when I drove off and forgot to release the brake until a red dash warning asks me to release. I didn't notice it was not released at all which lead me to the question, does that thing work at all?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Yes, it holds the car adequately when parked and yes, I can drive off without releasing it without any indication until the red dash message!

I would think most, if not all, MBs can pull away with the handbrake on.

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Foot Handbrake

I found that it was invariably a MOT failure giving only about 15% or thereabouts efficiency.
I did change the shoes and was told always to use the handrake when parked to ensure it keeps some of its efficiency.

I've just decamped after many years with Mercedes and different classic models, to a Lexus LS400 (older than the 96 Merc) only to find it also has a Foot Handbrake (doh!) with the release handle on the opposite side of the Steering wheel. Each time I go to release - ???

Loving this Lexus with virtully no rust and back to the glorius sound of a V8.

Regards to all

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom