Parking brake release

Auto Addict

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blue Efficiency C Class Estate
C Class Estate Blue Efficiency, parking brake release under dash doesn't always release the parking brake, have to ease the brake lever up with my foot.

Is there any adjustment I can make?

Thanks in anticipation.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
Had a similar issue with my CLS last week , the pedal did not return to the fully up position causing the red warning in the dash to be displayed accompanied by the warning beeper.

I lubricated the return mechanism at the top of the pedal and it comes off the full way now.

I used a PTFE dry lube from Halfords and just inserted the tip (of the straw) in through the hole (in the lower trim) and gave it a liberal dampening , we are still talking about the car here BTW.

Lack of use was most likely the cause of the problem.

Kenny

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
That’s the problem with these park brakes nobody uses them.
Mine just failed the mot on an imbalance, it only needed adjustment and lubricating .
I’m yet to hear of anyone that has worn the shoes out ?

weds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class Estate 350cd, Porsche 928 S4
Mine does that when its cold, once the car has warmed up it works ok. I'll have a look when the weathers warmer and dryer...

OP
Auto Addict

Auto Addict

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blue Efficiency C Class Estate
Thanks, I'll try lubricating it.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
That’s the problem with these park brakes nobody uses them.
Mine just failed the mot on an imbalance, it only needed adjustment and lubricating .
I’m yet to hear of anyone that has worn the shoes out ?

Even if you used it, the shoes won't wear. When applied, it's applied to a stationary wheel, shoes would only wear if pushed out against a rotating drum ;)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
My other half and/or daughter managed to wear them out on our old W203...
Drove to shops not realising they'd left the brake on (and complained it was gutless and making a funny smell). Next day the shoes parted company with the friction lining jamming the rear brake on and causing me to leave a 40 foot skid mark and associated cloud of tyre smoke in the middle of a sleepy Oxfordshire village....

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
My other half and/or daughter managed to wear them out on our old W203...
Drove to shops not realising they'd left the brake on (and complained it was gutless and making a funny smell). Next day the shoes parted company with the friction lining jamming the rear brake on and causing me to leave a 40 foot skid mark and associated cloud of tyre smoke in the middle of a sleepy Oxfordshire village....

No alarm fitted then?

Emily's then boy friend, being a clever bugger, applied the handbrake to her mum's auto Astra on a night out. Emily drove a good few miles with it applied despite the red warning light on the dash. Fortunately no pasting damage.
Why can't people (& garages) leave things as they find them? :confused:

forrester

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 E 320 petrol
No alarm fitted then?

Emily's then boy friend, being a clever bugger, applied the handbrake to her mum's auto Astra on a night out. Emily drove a good few miles with it applied despite the red warning light on the dash. Fortunately no pasting damage.
Why can't people (& garages) leave things as they find them? :confused:
I would think that any sensible person would apply the handbrake when parking overnight, even on an auto.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I would think that any sensible person would apply the handbrake when parking overnight, even on an auto.

I'd guess that there are many stupid forum members then ...... My parking/emergency/hand brake only gets applied if parked on a reasonable hill, other than that its not

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
I might be stupid then, as I use my parking brake every time I turn the engine off. I don't like the little lurch as it settles in park. Also it releases easily and always passes MOTs. Am I really stupid?

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
I always apply my parking brake it’s just habit I could not imagine not using it.

Are the parking pawls in the gear box extra strong?

I have read somewhere that they can be delicate (or did I imagine that)

I guess we all have different habits and it’s down to what you are happy with.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
Only use mine if the car is liable to roll anywhere due to a gradient , if it stops rolling and rests on the gearbox internals then there is always a "clunk" as it engages gear and a "clunk" is never a good thing from a mechanical / financial POV.

Kenny

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
I might be stupid then, as I use my parking brake every time I turn the engine off. I don't like the little lurch as it settles in park. Also it releases easily and always passes MOTs. Am I really stupid?
Nope. We both have always applied the parking brake every time we park in all our Mercs over the last 14 years.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Nope. We both have always applied the parking brake every time we park in all our Mercs over the last 14 years.
Mercedes or not is an irrelevance ..... my autos over nearly 30 yrs have been left in Park ..... as have EmilysGrandad's over somewhat longer

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Sometimes do sometimes don’t, depends as others have mentioned how and where parked

mancman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 250D
I work nights and stopped using mine esp in the winter when everyone use to drive off in their cars and I would be stuck there because the footbrake was gripping my rear wheels tighter than my butt cheeks after a dodgy curry

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I'm in the habit of putting the park brake on whenever I park anywhere.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
I’m going to start using mine more often, just for the Hell of it.

Top Bottom