parktronic

roop_the_loop

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI BlueEff SE, 7G auto, estate (S212), 2012
This is what my manual says:

Parking Guidance is an electronic parking aid with ultrasound. Ultrasound is used to measure the road on both sides of the vehicle. A suitable parking space is indicated by the parking symbol. You receive steering instructions when parking. You may also use PARKTRONIC. When PARKTRONIC is deactivated, Parking Guidance is also unavailable.

Use Parking Guidance for parking spaces:
that are parallel to the direction of travel
that are on straight roads, not bends
that are on the same level as the road, i.e. not on the pavement, for example.

Parking Guidance may not detect flat kerbs

Parking Guidance is automatically activated when you drive forwards. The system is operational at speeds of up to approximately 35 km/h. While in operation, the system independently locates and measures parking spaces on both sides of the vehicle. When driving at speeds below 30 km/h, you will see parking symbol as a status indicator in the instrument cluster.

When a parking space has been detected, an arrow towards the right or the left also appears. Parking Guidance only displays parking spaces on the front-passenger side as standard. Parking spaces on the driver's side are displayed as soon as the turn signal on the driver's side is activated. To park on the driver's side, you must leave the driver's side turn signal switched on until you have engaged reverse gear.

Parking Guidance will only detect parking spaces:
that are at least 1.5 m wide
that are at least 1.3 m longer than your vehicle

A parking space is displayed while you are driving past it and until you are approximately 15 m away from it.

Parking

PARKTRONIC and Parking Guidance are merely parking aids and may not detect all obstacles. They do not relieve you of the responsibility of paying attention.
You are always responsible for safety and must continue to pay attention to your immediate surroundings when parking and manoeuvring. You could otherwise endanger yourself and others.

Moving the vehicle to the parking position

Stop the vehicle when the parking space symbol shows the desired parking space in the instrument cluster.

The multifunction display shows the Check vehicle surroundings Confirm with OK message.

Press the OK button on the multifunction steering wheel to confirm.

The multifunction display switches to Parking Guidance.

Depending on your distance from the parking space, the Please drive backwards message will appear in the multifunction display.

If necessary, reverse towards the parking space. This is indicated by an arrow pointing backwards.

Continue reversing until you hear a tone. Stop - the parking position has been reached. The arrow is white.

The Please steer to the right or Please steer to the left message appears in the multifunction display.

Reversing the vehicle into a parking space

While the vehicle is stationary, turn the steering wheel in the specified direction until the arrow is white and a warning tone sounds.

To reverse into the parking space: maintain the steering wheel angle and reverse carefully.

Stop as soon as you hear a warning tone,
The vehicle has reached the position in which you need to countersteer.
The Please steer to the left or Please steer to the right message appears in the multifunction display.

Countersteering: while the vehicle is stationary, turn the steering wheel in the specified direction until the arrow is white and a warning tone sounds.

To reverse into the parking space: maintain the steering wheel angle and reverse carefully.

Stop as soon as you hear a warning tone, at the latest when PARKTRONIC sounds the continuous warning tone.

The Parking Guidance finished message appears in the multifunction display and a tone sounds. You may be asked to steer in a different direction and then change gear. In this case, further displays in the multifunction display will direct you to the final position.

Manoeuvre if necessary.

Always observe the warning messages displayed by PARKTRONIC.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
This is what my manual says:

Parking Guidance is an electronic parking aid with ultrasound. Ultrasound is used to measure the road on both sides of the vehicle. A suitable parking space is indicated by the parking symbol. You receive steering instructions when parking. You may also use PARKTRONIC. When PARKTRONIC is deactivated, Parking Guidance is also unavailable.

Use Parking Guidance for parking spaces:
that are on straight roads, not bends
that are on the same level as the road, i.e. not on the pavement, for example.

Parking Guidance may not detect flat kerbs

Parking Guidance is automatically activated when you drive forwards. The system is operational at speeds of up to approximately 35 km/h. While in operation, the system independently locates and measures parking spaces on both sides of the vehicle. When driving at speeds below 30 km/h, you will see parking symbol as a status indicator in the instrument cluster.

When a parking space has been detected, an arrow towards the right or the left also appears. Parking Guidance only displays parking spaces on the front-passenger side as standard. Parking spaces on the driver's side are displayed as soon as the turn signal on the driver's side is activated. To park on the driver's side, you must leave the driver's side turn signal switched on until you have engaged reverse gear.

Parking Guidance will only detect parking spaces:
that are at least 1.5 m wide
that are at least 1.3 m longer than your vehicle

A parking space is displayed while you are driving past it and until you are approximately 15 m away from it.

Parking

PARKTRONIC and Parking Guidance are merely parking aids and may not detect all obstacles. They do not relieve you of the responsibility of paying attention.
You are always responsible for safety and must continue to pay attention to your immediate surroundings when parking and manoeuvring. You could otherwise endanger yourself and others.

Moving the vehicle to the parking position

Stop the vehicle when the parking space symbol shows the desired parking space in the instrument cluster.

The multifunction display shows the Check vehicle surroundings Confirm with OK message.

Press the OK button on the multifunction steering wheel to confirm.

The multifunction display switches to Parking Guidance.

Depending on your distance from the parking space, the Please drive backwards message will appear in the multifunction display.

If necessary, reverse towards the parking space. This is indicated by an arrow pointing backwards.

Continue reversing until you hear a tone. Stop - the parking position has been reached. The arrow is white.

The Please steer to the right or Please steer to the left message appears in the multifunction display.

Reversing the vehicle into a parking space

While the vehicle is stationary, turn the steering wheel in the specified direction until the arrow is white and a warning tone sounds.

Stop as soon as you hear a warning tone,
The vehicle has reached the position in which you need to countersteer.
The Please steer to the left or Please steer to the right message appears in the multifunction display.

Countersteering: while the vehicle is stationary, turn the steering wheel in the specified direction until the arrow is white and a warning tone sounds.

Stop as soon as you hear a warning tone, at the latest when PARKTRONIC sounds the continuous warning tone.

The Parking Guidance finished message appears in the multifunction display and a tone sounds. You may be asked to steer in a different direction and then change gear. In this case, further displays in the multifunction display will direct you to the final position.

Manoeuvre if necessary.

Always observe the warning messages displayed by PARKTRONIC.

Nothing like the system on my W221. I get coloured lines in the display, not words. Works both sides of the road as you drive slowly. Hence my quip about armco and barriers on the motorway.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Think this is a bit skewed

Parktronic is the sensors round the car.
Active Parking Guidance is what I have in my E350, comes up with the P when the space is big enough and it instructs you on how to park.
Active Park Assist is where it does it all for you.

someone correct me if I'm wrong?

I also have silver trim but it's literally trim not parking sensors, the sensors are the round dots on the bumpers.

I was referring to the S class old chap in my reply to another S class owner. What E class cars have is irrelevant don't you know :p:p:p

Scoob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C350 CDI Sport Estate
I have "Parktronic" listed as one of the options on my 2012 C-Class, but it's simply parking sensors so you don't hit anything - at least that's the theory lol. Basically, just progressive light bars, going from green to red as the car nears obstacles when travelling under 20 or so mph. Quite nice, but I still don't trust it entirely. There is not auto-steering, nor is there even basic steering guidance...not that we should need that though, eh? ;)

In my experience most MB sales people don't seem to have a clue what's what. My saleman spent time explaining to me about my "blind spot assist" feature. I assumed I had it - I was told I did - but later found it was only fitted as part of the "lane assist" package and it wasn't on my car at all.

It was also explained to me how selected "S" (Sport mode) on the gear box dynamically changed my damper settings...however, I think that was reservec for certain AMG models.

When the people selling you the cars have little or no clue, it's not surprising we get confused!

Scoob.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have "Parktronic" listed as one of the options on my 2012 C-Class, but it's simply parking sensors so you don't hit anything - at least that's the theory lol. Basically, just progressive light bars, going from green to red as the car nears obstacles when travelling under 20 or so mph. Quite nice, but I still don't trust it entirely. There is not auto-steering, nor is there even basic steering guidance...not that we should need that though, eh? ;)

In my experience most MB sales people don't seem to have a clue what's what. My saleman spent time explaining to me about my "blind spot assist" feature. I assumed I had it - I was told I did - but later found it was only fitted as part of the "lane assist" package and it wasn't on my car at all.

It was also explained to me how selected "S" (Sport mode) on the gear box dynamically changed my damper settings...however, I think that was reservec for certain AMG models.

When the people selling you the cars have little or no clue, it's not surprising we get confused!

Scoob.

That is sad when the dealers salesmen do not know what they are selling, if I had been one I would have taken every sales book home and read them from end to end. Interesting too that what the dealer has told a customer has caused a conflict on here.

Scoob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's silly really. If I described a bit of software as having a certain feature, sold it based on that, and said feature wasn't present I'd need to either ADD the feature (no further charge) or the entire product would be rejected there and then. Needless to say I don't do that, but then I read the manual :)

Not really fussed, did my own homework on the cars various features, so I was mostly aware of what it actually had. Only the blind spot thing I found out later.

Scoob.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It's silly really. If I described a bit of software as having a certain feature, sold it based on that, and said feature wasn't present I'd need to either ADD the feature (no further charge) or the entire product would be rejected there and then. Needless to say I don't do that, but then I read the manual :)

Not really fussed, did my own homework on the cars various features, so I was mostly aware of what it actually had. Only the blind spot thing I found out later.

Scoob.

I see now also that many things are put into what are called packages like entertainment package and Driving assistant package that consist of distronic,Active blind spot and Active lane keeping.

This is a Swdeish idea where in the past you had the choice of 3 to 4 packages

Scoob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I see now also that many things are put into what are called packages like entertainment package and Driving assistant package that consist of distronic,Active blind spot and Active lane keeping.

This is a Swdeish idea where in the past you had the choice of 3 to 4 packages

I think they might have been confused as I do have the "Speed Assist" option, which I understand forms part of another package which does include the blind spot assist feature.

Pretty sure I don't have the adaptive dampers though - i.e. "S" Gearbox mode being firmer than "E" - feels just the same to me.

Scoob

Top Bottom