personal Number Plate Spacing??

nick73

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w209, CLK 280 Convertible
Personally, If I see a plate with dodgy spacing, I think it just cheapens the car straight away.

Just think it's a bit tacky, not so much what you want to do Tjamesbo, but more the manipulation of numbers to look like letters, using tape of randomly placed black screw covers, looks terrible:neutral:

Don't do it!!

Thincat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK320
I've been thinking about getting a special plate for a few years now. I've been put off by the general antagonism they seem to generate from certain people - Mercs generate enough as it is. But it would cover up the age of my car (X reg) and if you buy right they can be a good investment - they certainly depreciate more slowly than the SLK anyway. I'll be looking at the DVLA auctions over the next few months and see if I can get a 4 character number for about £3k - don't care about the actual number. I certainly won't be mis-spacing it.

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
I have always used Irish plates--one they are very cheap to buy and two you do not need to alter the spacing so they are dateless -can have a nickname and are perfectly legal ? I had BMW 3231 on my old 3 series 323i BM --?
(currently have LNZ 9991 and LNZ 9992)

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
I have always used Irish plates--one they are very cheap to buy and two you do not need to alter the spacing so they are dateless -can have a nickname and are perfectly legal ? I had BMW 3231 on my old 3 series 323i BM --?

Which is where JEZ, came from :p

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I like mine at £250 My initials and more

DSC00375.jpg

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Merc SOO SLoW.. good number Malc...

C

C180 Chris

I only wish i had a middle name, then i could have a cheapie £250 DVLA jobbie!

cmax200

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230 Sport
Malc's is ok, but others that are tweaked etc etc. Cant see the point. Why not have your name or whatever painted on the car like boats do. Does not seem to lower their value. You never know you might start a new trend and now may be the time to cash in on that market.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.

My current mark is INZ ****.

In NI you can put a current reg. mark on an older car. So not only is the plate dateless, but you can actually have a current model which is say 3 years old but with a brand new plate.

Thincat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK320
I have a 4 character surname and 3 initials and it so happens that my surname can easily be "faked" fairly convincingly with an alphabetic character and 3 numbers. So I rang up DVLA and asked to buy the number and they said that:
1) my 3 initials were not a recognised area code (although there's no Z, I, U or Q in them) and therefore were illegal
2) the only 3 digit numbers I could have were 111, 222 etc - at least I think that's what she said, I was getting bored by then

What a load of rubbish. I'm glad they wouldn't take my £250 as it occurred to me it wasn't dateless and would have had no value to anyone but me.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Cherished number plates can be classy, especially if they mean something to the owner.

Dumb (and dumber) plates made to spell words using numbers as letters with improper spacing - ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho! The most ridiculous ones have the word they are trying to spell written in small letters underneath because they don't make sense to normal people.

There are many TW8T's driving around.

For example, in my area is C4 LXX spaced C4L XX, and underneath in little letters it reads "to Carol with kisses"

Says it all really doesn't it?

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Cherished number plates can be classy, especially if they mean something to the owner.

Dumb (and dumber) plates made to spell words using numbers as letters with improper spacing - ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho! The most ridiculous ones have the word they are trying to spell written in small letters underneath because they don't make sense to normal people.

There are many TW8T's driving around.

For example, in my area is C4 LXX spaced C4L XX, and underneath in little letters it reads "to Carol with kisses"

Says it all really doesn't it?

Yes, it spells CHA 5S (that's a Roman five by the way)

JeffP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 190e 2litre auto 1990/Renault Clio 1.2 2010
Got to be careful with Irish plates. A friend of mine was an insurance broker and he told me that some companies refuse to quote on Irish plates. Don't know why, seems a bit daft to me.
Mind you another friend of mine has just been refused cover because her car is pink!!
It's a mad mad mad mad world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom