Picking up a CLS 320CDI Brabus tomorrow - any advice?

zedmeister

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK C208/2002/3.2, C Class S205/2019/220d, E class cab A124/1996/2.2
Hi,

I'm buying a CLS 320CDI with the Brabus chip fitted. Its 2007 with 75k miles - any advice on what to look for?

Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just saying congratulations :D:D very nice too

OP
zedmeister

zedmeister

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just saying congratulations :D:D very nice too

Thanks Malc :) Bit worried about driving such a large beast! How reliable are the CLS's? Not as bad as an E Class hopefully!

MERCSPORT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 CLS 350 CDI Grand Edition
Thanks Malc :) Bit worried about driving such a large beast! How reliable are the CLS's? Not as bad as an E Class hopefully!

I tend to find them better than the E-classes, however they do come with problems like ALL machines... Dont be worried though, I have never heard of anything major going on them, just minor things.

Go for it, its a beautiful and decent car!

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Just get in and drive it, you've bought it now! No point in worrying anyway. Lovely car sir

why+worry.jpg

OP
zedmeister

zedmeister

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just get in and drive it, you've bought it now! No point in worrying anyway. Lovely car sir

why+worry.jpg

Not paid for it yet so I still need to check it out and make sure its a good'un.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

It will be a new way of life for you now,,, there are thousands of the things running around with no problems at all, just enjoy it :D:D

sl7023

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320cdi with Brabus D6-111 Chip
CLS 320 CDI

I've ran a 2007 CLS 320CDI for the last couple of years - a few minor niggles (glowplugs !), other than that, no problems. Fitted a Brabus D6 chip last year, which made a noticeable difference (see posts from me on the subject).

I've recently had the wheels refurbished, they look fantastic !

All in all, a wonderful car, that never fails to make me feel good, no matter how short the journey. As other posters have said - enjoy it !

Regards,

OP
zedmeister

zedmeister

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've ran a 2007 CLS 320CDI for the last couple of years - a few minor niggles (glowplugs !), other than that, no problems. Fitted a Brabus D6 chip last year, which made a noticeable difference (see posts from me on the subject).

I've recently had the wheels refurbished, they look fantastic !

All in all, a wonderful car, that never fails to make me feel good, no matter how short the journey. As other posters have said - enjoy it !

Regards,

Do you mind me asking how much the D6 was and how it affected insurance? Can it easily be spotted under the bonnet? Where abouts does it go - I want to make sure its there and not just a fake badge :)

E320mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi sport 2007
Hi and welcome!! Nice choice of car! Just check for service history don't worry if it's not all MB a good indy is every bit as good, the overall condition of the car will tell you if it has been looked after or not! After that just go with your heart!

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Do you mind me asking how much the D6 was and how it affected insurance? Can it easily be spotted under the bonnet? Where abouts does it go - I want to make sure its there and not just a fake badge :)

I told my insurance and it added around 10%.

You're looking for one of these and it's located under a cover on the right hand side of engine bay above the pollen filter (on the E Class at least).
041.jpg

Also there's a wiring loom which is easy to spot - the red and yellow/green wires here. You can just see the box at the top right hand side held by the gold coloured clip.
044.jpg

Lovely car and I hope it's a good example.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Great driving cars the CLS's but consider the issues with manifolds, inlet port shut off motors and engine bearings that can effect this engine. Always keep a reserve of £3000 handy worse case.

sl7023

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

In my case, it cost £1000 all in - including fitting by the dealer I bought the car from originally. Not cheap, but, to my mind, well worth it.

In terms of insurance, I'm now (just !) in the "over 50" bracket, so if I remember correctly, it cost an extra £45 a year, on top of the c£280 for the standard car. Both my wife & I are named drivers.

Other posters have shown you where to find it under the bonnet. When mines was fitted, the dealer had left the box the unit comes in, inside the car - it contained a number of Brabus badges that could be fitted if you so wished. I was happy to keep the car standard, so they're still in the box !

Have you got the car yet ?

Regards

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
In my case, it cost £1000 all in - including fitting by the dealer I bought the car from originally. Not cheap, but, to my mind, well worth it.

In terms of insurance, I'm now (just !) in the "over 50" bracket, so if I remember correctly, it cost an extra £45 a year, on top of the c£280 for the standard car. Both my wife & I are named drivers.

Other posters have shown you where to find it under the bonnet. When mines was fitted, the dealer had left the box the unit comes in, inside the car - it contained a number of Brabus badges that could be fitted if you so wished. I was happy to keep the car standard, so they're still in the box !

Have you got the car yet ?

Regards

I'm liking your insurance figures as I'm 50 this year and paying £600 from Avivia which was the best quote. Tell me more please.

sl7023

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm liking your insurance figures as I'm 50 this year and paying £600 from Avivia which was the best quote. Tell me more please.

I have a multi-car policy from Admiral - covers the CLS, a Ford Kuga and a Corsa . As I say, the CLS element of it is now c£300, the Kuga, £200 - and because my two sons, 20 & 17, drive the Corsa, that part costs around £900 !!!

All of that is with a full no claims discount, in a low risk area.

I had originally insured each of the cars independently, but the multi-car policy worked out cheaper in aggregate.

There are clearly some advantages of being over 50 !!

Regards

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
All of that is with a full no claims discount, in a low risk area.

Thanks,

I have the NCD but not the low risk area, with a big city postcode.

Cardinal Biggles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 (09) W219; C220D (07) W204
Well, folk here will be sick of me saying it, but I love my CLS. If I could get it up the stairs I'd take it to bed with me for a cuddle.

The ownership experience is not just about the driving pleasure, the comfort and refinement, the sophistication of the interior. The effortless way it does things, and the ability to drive all day then spring out as fresh as you went in.

It's the sense of well-being and pride as you park it up and walk away, and yes, you just have to look back for a furtive glance at the smooth lines and superb wheels.

And coming back to the CLS again its a warm glow all over as you approach that beautiful motor and realise it's YOURS. :)

Prepare to turn some heads and receive some admiring and envious glances. Round here we wave or flash to other CLS owners who clearly know a good car when they see one.

I do recommend the optional wider rear wheels, and if you can go for a facelifted model (cream dials) you won't regret paying the very small amount extra. There are detail improvements all over the car which lifts it overall into a superb motor.

Cardinal Biggles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 (09) W219; C220D (07) W204
Oh yeah........ I forgot to say, dont expect it to go in your garage!!!!!

OP
zedmeister

zedmeister

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I drove it home yesterday - 200 miles on the motorway - fantastic car!!! :)
Thanks John for the amazing detailed pictures - a great help!

I was so planted on the motorway and felt a lot more solid than my CLK - I'm just popping out to look at it again ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I drove it home yesterday - 200 miles on the motorway - fantastic car!!! :)
Thanks John for the amazing detailed pictures - a great help!

I was so planted on the motorway and felt a lot more solid than my CLK - I'm just popping out to look at it again ;)

They are strange things :D I went to sleep in my SL on the first night :D

Thanks for posting back

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom