Please help, auto - transmission

jayjayw87ulh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230 KOMPRESSOR AUTO 2001
Hi everyone, it's great to have stumbled upon this site, it's nice to see such a supportive community. I would really appreciate any advice to this problem, I have a Mercedes CLK 2001 petrol, Automatic, engine 230 Kompressor, 87,000miles on the clock.

The problem is as follows, about two months ago I noticed the car was not going past the 2nd/3rd gear so before trying anything else I simply reset the transmission (i.e. turn key to position 2, press the gas pedal, key off then release pedal) This instantly fixed the problem but about a month later it reoccurred so I reset it again and it fixed the issue once again, but two weeks later it has returned so again I reset it. I also noticed on each occasion i.e. when it decided not to go past past 2nd/3rd the car jerks forward quickly when initially moving off/starting i.e. moving from parking to drive but as mentioned above as soon as I reset the transmission it also goes away and everything works and is smooth.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be / how to fix so it doesn't keep happening? Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks, Jay

edonmez25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320/2004/OM648
Hi everyone, it's great to have stumbled upon this site, it's nice to see such a supportive community. I would really appreciate any advice to this problem, I have a Mercedes CLK 2001 petrol, Automatic, engine 230 Kompressor, 87,000miles on the clock.

The problem is as follows, about two months ago I noticed the car was not going past the 2nd/3rd gear so before trying anything else I simply reset the transmission (i.e. turn key to position 2, press the gas pedal, key off then release pedal) This instantly fixed the problem but about a month later it reoccurred so I reset it again and it fixed the issue once again, but two weeks later it has returned so again I reset it. I also noticed on each occasion i.e. when it decided not to go past past 2nd/3rd the car jerks forward quickly when initially moving off/starting i.e. moving from parking to drive but as mentioned above as soon as I reset the transmission it also goes away and everything works and is smooth.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be / how to fix so it doesn't keep happening? Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks, Jay

Hi There I believe the issue is well documented and sounds like it is the conductor plate playing up which is very common on the 722.6 gear boxes. If you haven't done yet I would hook the car up to a computer to get the codes read. I am sure much more experienced members will reply but going from what i have been reading about these indicates what i said.

Watch the series of following video series looks like same issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdt4g5jqo4E

Last edited:
OP
J

jayjayw87ulh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks, just to add, it has never show up as a malfunction (no lights or error) on dash...so do you still think we still need to hook up to a computer i.e. will fault codes show up even when it states 'no malfunction' ?

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Many thanks, just to add, it has never show up as a malfunction (no lights or error) on dash...so do you still think we still need to hook up to a computer i.e. will fault codes show up even when it states 'no malfunction' ?

Quite often you can have fault codes without the EML being shown.

I would run the car over to Terry at W Gates in Harrow and ask him to take a look. You'll get good honest service there.

http://www.mercservicing.co.uk/

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Just sounds like the normal electronic plate has failed, codes would read as a speed sensor faulty, it's a weekly job...........get it read by a proper star machine...

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Gearbox faults rarely light a eml lamp, only on very late cars.

OP
J

jayjayw87ulh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys for all your help, it seems everyone is in agreement....just finally, what would I be looking at in terms of cost for parts and labour ? and do you suggest changing something else while at it ? (e.g. the gearbox oil and filter etc)

edonmez25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320/2004/OM648
Thanks guys for all your help, it seems everyone is in agreement....just finally, what would I be looking at in terms of cost for parts and labour ? and do you suggest changing something else while at it ? (e.g. the gearbox oil and filter etc)

It all depends on where you get it repaired but as a bold figure just for part is £200-250 + vat from dealer there are a few place you can get online for cheaper prices and you can get some none genuine parts but quality of those will be questionable. I would also recommend to get the connector for conductor plate to be replaced and you also need 4-5 liters of fresh oil and filter too. The job is doable as a diy if you feel confident to tackle but need bit of a spanner experience otherwise get a good indy to do as suggested by other members.

Last edited:

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K

If you take it to an indy like Wayne Gates, you should be looking at a bill of £4-500 incl parts and labour. You'd have fresh ATF and filter fitted at the same time.

OP
J

jayjayw87ulh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, do you think he can fix it the same day? (and how long will such a job take on average?)

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Thanks, do you think he can fix it the same day? (and how long will such a job take on average?)

Terry will be the best person to answer that. Give him a call first to book the car in.

Tel: 020 8863 9233
Mob: 07989 321638

OP
J

jayjayw87ulh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Gearbox faults rarely light a eml lamp, only on very late cars.

Hi, I think you may be closer to me but just wanted to check, does your garage have experience in fixing this issue and how much would your garage charge to fix this roughly? also, how long would it usually take.....do have a name and contract number for the best person at your garage? just so can mention when booking in.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sure, very common problem, we always have boards in stock (5 speed and 7 speed). As long as it shows a firm fault, the job usually takes a couple of hours, depending on how hot it is. Speak to Ian or mike.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Sure, very common problem, we always have boards in stock (5 speed and 7 speed). As long as it shows a firm fault, the job usually takes a couple of hours, depending on how hot it is. Speak to Ian or mike.

The gearbox - not the weather!

Umble.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The gearbox - not the weather!

Umble.

We have seen before, a customer drives down stuck in 2nd gear and expects it to be worked on straight away. :(

charlotte

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270 year 2000
hi everyone, i have just joined the site and i need help!!
i have recently purchased a ml270 year 2000 and after 2 weeks of driving it around with no problems apart from a water leak,we have had start error come up and cannot use the car..
we have just today had a diagnostic test done and we have a few error codes come up can anyone help as i have no clue at the moment where to start,
these are the codes..
DTC Description
B1040 - Unknown fault code
B1041 - Unknown fault code
B1042 - Can communication fault to brake assist control module
Immobiliser (Immobiliser - Immobiliser - MT/AT) DTC Description
97031510 - Unknown fault code
031031 - Unknown fault code
Restraints (Airbag - Armin (Airbag) - MT/AT) DTC Description
B1321 - Seat belt buckle,driver - Short circuit to positive - Intermittent
B1315 - Front passenger seat occupied and child seat recognition - Communication fault - Intermittent

larivierette

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML Class W163
I had the same problem on my ML, I did a factory reset on the gearbox took my 5 minutes from the cock pit every thing works fine. Info can be found on utube.:)

OP
J

jayjayw87ulh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I did the reset but it returned after about a month...just wondering did it reoccur on your ML ? All the best.

OP
J

jayjayw87ulh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I did the reset but it returned after about a month...just wondering did it reoccur on your ML ? thanks, all the best.

Coupe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 CLK 2.3K Convertible
Another issue with the CLK is a worn auto box oil seal which causes slow loss of ATF and then loss of transmission until oil settles. Simple fix with new seal and top up of ATF. Check ATF level. Your garage should also look for this.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom