Please Help "New Kid"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NKOTB

Reaction score
I bought my first Mercedes about a month ago.
I was an MR2 bod, so please forgive me, I know very little.
I have a SLK230 2001 and after just 2 days of having it the engine light came on. After panicking I took it straight down our local garage.
They kept it overnight and told me it was nothing to worry about but I will need the wiring loom and sensors replacing.
They agreed to pay for a small percentage of the bill as it was originally bought in Gemany and the warranty had run out.
£370.00 later I had my baby back and all was well, "till yesterday".
The light has come on again.
The first time this happened the mechanic told me there is a known fault on the slk's where the light comes on for no reason, and they just need to turn the light off.
Has anyone had this problem??
As now i'm doubting the sensor's never needed replacing.

Please help!!!!!!! :cry:

Clare

OP
N

NKOTB

Reaction score
So do you just have to keep going back??
The thing is if/when its a serious problem you could over look it.
Also my car does sound like a diesal sometimes is that normal for a merc

Mike Buley

Reaction score
Common for a light to come on post repair!!!!
I would take it back to the repairer, tell them to shove it, until they fix it correctly. There should be no reason why a warning light illuminates unless there is something wrong.
Regards,
Mike.

OP
N

NKOTB

Reaction score
Well I went down the garage this morning, after about an hour wait they told me it was the wiring loom this is what I had replaced about 4 weeks ago together with sensors.
So off goes the light once again, and its booked in for the 30th.
Fingers crossed!!

jaymanek

Reaction score
Website
www.mercland.com
Yes i know, a right pain dealers can be, makesure they dont fob you off!

My brothers E240 sounded like a diesel for its first 3-4000miles, after that it queitened down. Is yours V low mileage?

Arnie

Reaction score
The fault was probaly incorrectly diagnosed in the first case, in which case they should get it right now, but they will probably still insist that the replacement loom and sensors were part of it. They may have arleady charged you for unecessary work, but you'll never know.
Either way, they haven't repaired it properly and you should go back. Try asking them what the fault codes were that registered on the on-board computer. This should indicate which sensors, if any, were faulty.

OP
N

NKOTB

Reaction score
Thankyou for your answers, the mileage is quite high 40,000 and its 6 speed manual, as I'm afraid I do like to use the gears!!
Now I have the car I won't be putting loads of miles on it.
The other thing that flashed on today was the " ! " in the centre of the dash I had a quick look in the hand book but it never came on again.

Thanks Again
Clare

jaymanek

Reaction score
Website
www.mercland.com
Hi,

That "!" was ure anti skid light, or ESP (Electronic stabilisation i think). Will come on if you lose grip with the road, which is what its supposed to prevent?? Maybe u shouildnt USE those gears quite as much!!

You will see a switch somewhere labelled ESP. If you press, this switches the anti skid off and the light will be on all the time.

Thanks

Jay

OP
N

NKOTB

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply's.
Yes I read up on that light "!" I feel more Blonde than I am now.
Sorry.
As they say "slow and steady win the race"

mjtray

Reaction score
Clare,

Having owned a C230 I know what you mean by your car sounding like a diesel...........I'm afraid that this is common on the 230 Komp enigine, especially when they are first started from cold.

They have never been known for their smoothness and quite honestly the engine is quite a rough old beast.........when the 230 Komp engine was first launched they always got a pasting from the motoring press for the noise they made.

I'm afraid you will just have to live with it.

Cheers

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom