Please help...newbie with a problem!

Matty77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 2000 CLK55
This is my first post here and I'm hoping someone might be able offer some help.

Here's what happened this week with my CLK...

On Wednesday I got in the car and noticed the Comand system wasn't working. I checked the fuse but it was fine.

Then things got worse...

Later that day when I went to indicate to make a turn there was nothing. No indicators. No dash light turn signal. Nothing!

I then tried my wipers. Nothing. No wiper Jet. Nothing at all :(

The only function remaining on the stalk was full beam activation when flipping the stalk forward. Nothing else worked.

So I took a look on here and searched for answers. I read that it could be a faulty front SAM unit that was causing these problems, rather than the stalk itself - and it was a fairly easy job to replace the SAM unit.

So I bought a 2nd hand unit from Dronsfields in Oldham and replaced it this morning.

When I reconnected the battery I found that the Comand unit was now working and I thought my problems were over, but when I tried the indicators/wipers...nothing!

So I then did a swap of relays, one by one, using a relay from the dronsfields unit, to see if it had been a bad relay causing this problem. But no, that didn't solve the problem either :(

So in summary, I've checked all the fuses, checked all the relays, replaced the front SAM unit and still no indicators/wipers etc.

The car is my daily driver and to compound matters the MOT runs out in a couple of days, which I was expecting the car to fly through as until now it's been pretty faultless.

I'm wondering if Dronsfields have sold me a unit that wasn't checked thoroughly which might have had a fault? But then what are the chances of two units having the identical problem? What do you think?

Either that or it's got to be the stalk itself that needs replacing? What do you think?

Can anybody offer any help, guidance or suggestions? I'd be so grateful.

Anybody replaced a stalk? How tough is the job? I guess I might have to search that subject soon.

Thanks for reading. Hoping that someone can offer me some sound advice that doesn't involve visiting a main dealer and losing and arm and a leg so close to Christmas :D

MIW615

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 SPORT & 230SLK
Hi and welcome from me -
As with your problem I would suggest that you re-post this thread in the electrical section where you will get a greater response - good luck ;)

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Stalks are known to fail. Have a search on here.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Why not give MB tech in Warrington a ring and get the car on STAR, you can then replace what is indicated on STAR and from what MB tech tells you.

OP
M

Matty77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 2000 CLK55
Why not give MB tech in Warrington a ring and get the car on STAR, you can then replace what is indicated on STAR and from what MB tech tells you.

Thanks for the tip but I use SPR Autos in Stockport. They're only five minutes away from where I live and have always been pretty good...but they charge £45 for a star diagnostic check whereas I could buy a 2nd hand indicator stalk for the same sort of money and replace it myself if that would cure the problem.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
How many 2nd hand parts do you buy with guessing, a star test could pin-point the fault 1st time and save you some big dosh

There is a reason why MB built fault codes into the system.....

Last edited:
OP
M

Matty77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 2000 CLK55
How many 2nd hand parts do you buy with guessing, a star test could pin-point the fault 1st time and save you some big dosh

There is a reason why MB built fault codes into the system.....

Okay I concede that having a star test does make the best sense. I'll get her booked in for one asap ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Many indies just charge between £25 and £35 for a quick test.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom