1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor dipped beam on my 211!

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by littlewimp, Sep 10, 2017.

1. littlewimp

littlewimp Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E 55 Amg
    I know I'm getting older and my eyesight wouldn't be as good as when I was 30, but I really must try and sort the headlights out on my 211, I did remove the relatively new hid bulbs from my s class before I sold it and am planning on fitting them to the E -class , Main Beam is Good but as soon as I need to dip its shocking , I'm hoping that its just the bulbs that have lost there efficiency over time, I found the s-class really good and probably the only thing that never gave me trouble during my ownership! even the Wife's Dacia with normal h4 lights would out perform mine at the moment.

2. malcolm210

malcolm210 Senior Member

I think there is a drop off in bulb intensity as they age, the xenon dipped beam bulbs in the 210 at 18 years old have noticably dropped off

littlewimp likes this.
  3. AJD

AJD Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2012 W204 Sport AMG Line 4dr Auto, Obsidian Black, Grey trim
    I had the same problem on my previous W204. A set of Osram Night Breaker H7's in the dipped beams sorted that !! :)

silestanix and littlewimp like this.
  4. Craiglxviii

Craiglxviii Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W212 E220 AMG Night Edition; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition
    HiD lamps have a lifetime of around 8-9 years and halogen 5-6. Beyond that it's wise to replace them.

littlewimp likes this.
  5. Westheath

Westheath Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
    ^ ^ ^
    Most likely :)

littlewimp likes this.
  6. silestanix

silestanix Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    97' C250TD Sport
    This. I haven't managed to get hold of a good set of OEM Xenons for my W202 yet but the NightBreakers are fantastic, and I found a better light spread and beam than the Philips Xtreme 130's that they replaced.

littlewimp likes this.
  7. umblecumbuz

umblecumbuz Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S204 and CLC 204 cdi, other non-Merc machines
    Another for Osram Nightbreakers.
    Strangely, the CLC I recently bought had excellent lights, far better than my S204, but I put Nightbreakers in anyway, and now they are superb.

8. Chrishazle

Chrishazle Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 1993 Porsche 968 Tiptronic cabriolet
    Another + for Nightbreakers - I have them in both cars, NB+ in the 968, NB Ultimate in the MB dips and NB Lasers in the MB mains. Don't think the lasers are worth the extra over the Ultimates, but even the NB+ are good in the 968.

9. Craiglxviii

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W212 E220 AMG Night Edition; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition
    Little bit of data for you- the NB Laser do not have any increase in luminous flux density over the NB Ultimate ;)

littlewimp and Chrishazle like this.
  10. forrester

forrester Member

Your Mercedes:
    2003 E 320 petrol
    I have noticed that nearly all older mercs have opaque head light lenses, which would affect the performance of the lights.
    I had to polish mine on my '03 320 & they are now good using standard bulbs.

littlewimp likes this.
  11. Craiglxviii

Your Mercedes:
    This is the odd thing, it isn't nearly all- it's a very spotty issue all around the world, and looks to be batch- specific for the polycarbonate used to make the lenses. From some research I've seen it only affects around 2% of cars.

littlewimp likes this.
  12. JBell

JBell Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
    Loads of car near me have opaque headlights, I do wonder if some drivers can actually see the road at night they are so bad

silestanix, Westheath and littlewimp like this.
  13. Craiglxviii

Your Mercedes:
    I remember stopping after a VERY filthy drive oop north- it was during the foot & mouth crisis , light fog across the country and there were whole herds being incinerated all up and down the M1 & A1- A19. I had to stop for fuel, looked at my headlamps and the lenses were yellow. Genuine, caked-on, encrusted "yellow wobbly bits". After I cleared them off (much hoiking) I realized that I could see about twice as well as before. It's really surprising when something happens gradually, how well your body adapts to the "new normal".

littlewimp likes this.
  14. Westheath

Westheath Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
    My valeting guy does headlight restoration, any thing from old Nissan's Citroen's to Mercedes BMW etc etc
    anywhere there's UV light to cause the oxidization once the OEM protection coatings worn off.

15. JBell

JBell Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
    So does mine although there is a company that specilaises in them near me

Westheath likes this.