Poor security on keyless entry - Please be careful!

Wolverine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE 250d AMG Prem Plus
Hi All,

Just wanted to raise awareness for something that happened to me this morning.

It's my wife's birthday this morning. I woke up as usual and got the kids ready to drop off to school and nursery before I return home and work (I work from home).

I left my house and our 2.5 month old GLE was gone. I quickly checked the security footage and this is what happened:

A couple of guys came up to it, one goes up to my house with a device while the other is trying the keyless entry. Took them less than a minute to drive off with the car!! (sorry for the poor footage, stupid spiders).

My keys were about 6 feet from the front door in my jacket which is not normal for me as I usually hang my jacket at the back of the house.

If you own a Merc with keyless entry, I suggest you either keep the keys at the back of the house, disable the keyless entry or buy a lead box to keep your keys in. Please spread the word to anyone you know that they are at risk!!

I'm hoping the insurance will cover the amount left on the car but that means all the gap insurance, tyre/wheel cover and deposit will be for 2.5 months of motoring. If we want to buy the same car again, we'll have to put down the same deposit again, my insurance will now skyrocket as well. Plus I have 1 child seat, 1 toddler seat, 1 isofix base for baby seat in there as well as the push chairs in the boot so lost over £900 worth of stuff for my kids.

Wife is on maternity leave right now as we have a 1 month old baby so no chance of us being able to save for another one of these in a while now.

Nobody at Mercedes Benz told us about this risk at all. I googled it today and found out it happened to some estate agent a month ago on a C class so it is something that people are doing.

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
jeez-a-loo, I'm gobsmacked.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is just awful, so sorry it happened to you.

I know it's too late, but someone posted recently about buying an RFID shielded key pouch on AliExpress - I bought one too, even though I don't have a keyless go car.

I also have my wallet lined with RFID blocking foil, plus all contactless cards are in their own sleeves, as are our passports.
Blocks a signal completely (I have a mobile credit card terminal here, so actually checked).

I believe Mercedes should take the responsibility for this, or/and provide a clear advice, as to the secure handling of the key.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
They must have had a spare key

OP
W

Wolverine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE 250d AMG Prem Plus
OP
W

Wolverine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE 250d AMG Prem Plus
This is just awful, so sorry it happened to you.

I know it's too late, but someone posted recently about buying an RFID shielded key pouch on AliExpress - I bought one too, even though I don't have a keyless go car.

I also have my wallet lined with RFID blocking foil, plus all contactless cards are in their own sleeves, as are our passports.
Blocks a signal completely (I have a mobile credit card terminal here, so actually checked).

I believe Mercedes should take the responsibility for this, or/and provide a clear advice, as to the secure handling of the key.

I'd suggest anyone that has a keyless entry car get one of these blockers.

Here's me thinking how cool it was that the car unlocked just by touching the handle when the key was in my pocket!! It was pretty handy when you're carrying a 2 year old and holding some shopping I guess...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
First time I've seen footage, heard about it though. Sorry this has happened to you and especially at such a time when you need your car too.
The tea leafs dont need the spare key for this or anything, just their device.
as I mentioned on your welcome post I had the Autowatch ghost fitted to mine to avoid just such a thing.
When you do get a replacement its worth considering. Won't stop someone getting into your car but they wont drive it away, so its resistance is against professionals like these.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
This had been a problem ever since someone decided keyless go was a good idea. Thieves only need to scan for your code to be able to clone your key and the car is gone. It wont be long before car insurance will no longer cover theft on keyless go cars. Really sorry to hear your news.

OP
W

Wolverine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE 250d AMG Prem Plus
First time I've seen footage, heard about it though. Sorry this has happened to you and especially at such a time when you need your car too.
The tea leafs dont need the spare key for this or anything, just their device.
as I mentioned on your welcome post I had the Autowatch ghost fitted to mine to avoid just such a thing.
When you do get a replacement its worth considering. Won't stop someone getting into your car but they wont drive it away, so its resistance is against professionals like these.

Thanks for the advice, well worth the peace of mind especially when you spend so much on a car and only £375 fitted?? Bargain! If my Audi was keyless entry, I'd be on the phone to them now!

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
That's awful, not had keyless on my last 2 cars but did 3 cars ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
W

Wolverine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE 250d AMG Prem Plus
This had been a problem ever since someone decided keyless go was a good idea. Thieves only need to scan for your code to be able to clone your key and the car is gone. It wont be long before car insurance will no longer cover theft on keyless go cars. Really sorry to hear your news.

Agreed, while it is a fun gimmick - the security issue is a huge flaw.

Also thanks for the sympathy all but I'm not after any sympathy - I just want anyone else with a keyless go car to be aware. People work hard enough to be able to have a car like this and I'd hate for it to happen to anyone else.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
gutted for you.

im glad i dont have keyless of any sort. id much prefer the minor inconvenience (if you can even call it that) of having to turn the key in the ignition over losing a car, especially at such a critical time for you.

hopefully the insurance resolves it all quickly.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The way it works is this.
The thieves carry a repeater that will look for the key and re-transmit its security information to the guy waiting by the car.
The car not knowing its re-transmitted data opens and turns off the alarm and immobiliser. The thieves then start the car and drive away.
The Keyless Go system will allow the engine to run until its turned off and then it won't restart unless the key is nearby. Of course, thats too late for the owner as by then its likely in a warehouse having the security reprogrammed prior to getting it onto a ferry never to be seen again.

Keyless Go with Keyless Entry is a massive security flaw. The only protection from it is to keep the keys in a faraday cage until needed (but that defeats the point of having it).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The keyless go is on its own, and good and safe to keep a car this way. I often how many how many spare keys are creamed off.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Keyless go is the latest stupid invention from car manufacturers. I cannot see the point of it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Keyless go is the latest stupid invention from car manufacturers. I cannot see the point of it.

And I use both my CL and SL,,,,,,wonderful things to have, the wonderful thing is that they never wear out

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I posted a link to a story in the mail a month or so ago. I think customers should be made aware of this security flaw, either from the dealership or dvla. You might as well leave the keys in the ignition. :(

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I posted a link to a story in the mail a month or so ago. I think customers should be made aware of this security flaw, either from the dealership or dvla. You might as well leave the keys in the ignition. :(

You mean on the seat.... they don't have an ignition key...;)

Top Bottom