Poor security on keyless entry - Please be careful!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Randomly selected customers usually.

randomly selected from WHERE???? Previous customers where they can ask questions like 'do you think it would be a great idea to have internet in cars?' where most will answer 'yes' whereas if they asked 'do you need internet in your car?' the answer would probably be 'no'

i mean seriously, most of these 'customers' are probably in certain lines of work anyhow, so are keeping themselves in a job, in a way! you CANT use internet on the move, otherwise why is watching TV (for example) or using a phone (Handheld) illegal? and IMO internet in vehicles is the WORST distraction possible. and it can be hacked, just like the keyless keyfob signals!!!!

did anyone bother to ask the people who work on the cars whether they thought, for example, making a car in a manner where, for example, the bumper and headlight have to be removed to access the sidelight bulb to change it was a good idea? did anyone ask CUSTOMERS about THAT???

i dont dispute such 'customer surveys' exist, but i do have concerns about the accuracy of the information fed back to the car manufacturers AND the 'randomness' of the 'random' polls

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Why does anyone want internet in a car, i have the internet on my mobile phone.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Why does anyone want internet in a car, i have the internet on my mobile phone.

So the car can do things without needing your phone's connection. Like play the music you have saved on iTunes, or fo't'nippers play movies on Netflix etc.

It's the way of the future.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Them new fangled devices for nippers, god darn it!

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Interconnected lives, give it 10 years it will be biometrics in the car that reads you for all sorts of functions.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Interconnected lives, give it 10 years it will be biometrics in the car that reads you for all sorts of functions.
Give it 50 and they'll be implanted subcranially.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wouldn't even give it that long Craig, implanted biometric for NFC tech is already in use
Yup, likely right there. Neural lace or nanonics, whatever name it ends up going by. Enhanced humans aren't far off.

I want poison darts in my fingertips me. Oh so many targets.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
While I admit i've not read through the whole post but there is a way to disable the keyless entry on Mercedes models if you double press the lock button it disables the keyless entry feature of that key this is in the owners manual
70fa3155cd44bce8db4dfe4a517c72a4.png
hopefully this will prevent further incidents and keep your pride joy on your drives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does not work on mine, pressed twice near car or away .
Walk up to car grab handle and she opens!

OP
W

Wolverine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE 250d AMG Prem Plus
Does not work on mine, pressed twice near car or away .
Walk up to car grab handle and she opens!

It doesn't disable the keyless open, it disables the keyless go apparently. Mercedes email to me contained the same information... I stand by you shouldn't have to double lock your car every time you park up just because the security is so poor.

towat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK 320
The public ask for it. Like I said in my previous post, customer clinics (where customers are invited for a day's jolly at the technical design centre) have been quite insistent for years on it.

I guess the public don't ask for cars that aren't easy to steal then?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
It doesn't disable the keyless open, it disables the keyless go apparently. Mercedes email to me contained the same information... I stand by you shouldn't have to double lock your car every time you park up just because the security is so poor.
Thanks
Does it disable the keyless go in the key part or the car.

I ask as do I have to do that with the spare set that is kept in a Chubb Safe ( metal ... cash value £40,000) or would the metal of the safe stop them hacking from that key?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
honestly I just dont see the point of keyless go :-/

Other than my new key is in a cushioned pouch. Dont want to be buying another one if i drop it.

As for all these gizmos, I would prefer a car that could do 75,000 miles without breaking!

gr1nch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W222 S350d AMG Line Premium Plus 2017 Iridium Silver over Black Nappa
From my own testing with a new 2017 MB car and research into protecting it.

* The "double tap" on the lock car button on the Keyless-Go key does deactivate the Keyless-Go function on that key and works as intended. It only deactivates that specific key and not the car. Press any button on the key to make the Keyless-Go function active. This is why I use a Faraday cage pouch, since it is very easy to accidentally press a button on a deactivated Keyless-Go key, which then reactivates it.

* A good Faraday cage pouch works perfectly as intended, jamming all signals from the key. I bought two for about £10 from China. the You can hold the active Keyless-Go key in the pouch right up to the car and it will not be detected by the car. But you have to use the pouch properly - make sure that the key is in the blocking part of the pitch and the cover is closed. Convenience: it takes me two seconds as I'm walking to/away from the car to remove/secure the active Keyless-Go key from/into the pouch. It's easy and doesn't waste any time whatsoever.

* A solid metal box also works which is obviously not convenient as a mobile blocker for most car drivers, but it is good for home use. Any solid metal container, even foil lined will work. It is, of course, easy to make your own pouch out of aluminium foil. Don't forget to always test your device! (by taking it to your car with the active Keyless-Go key inside it). Metal foil or sheet works because the metal crystal lattice is smaller than the wavelength of the radio waves used by these 433MHz devices.

* Electronic scanners are straightforward to assemble to detect radio waves from your key/pouch/tin. Basically a device is composed of: Receiver + processor + software, eg DVB-T USB TV stick + laptop/Raspberry Pi/Android phone + SDR (software defined radio) software/app. Instructions are all over the internet. These are legal and not attacking drive they do not transmit, they are defensive. I have set one up for less than £10 and detected the transmissions from my active Keyless-Go keys (as well as my old Saab and garage keys).

* Scumbag thieves can use off-the-shelf hardware. Two units can be bought over the internet from other scumbags who make them. They do not need to have any technical expertise whatsoever. There is nothing professional in what they do, except get paid, with as much skill as a beggar.

* Other preventative and immobilising methods include (and, of course, do different things):
- temporarily removing one or more essential fuses
- GHOST or other action-based immobiliser
- ODBII port lock or move (put dummy port in its place)
- steering lock
- special alarm not connected to Keyless-Go
- geofence car and alarm on phone
- put car in a secure garage! (I've not yet seen a reported Keyless-Go car theft froma garage - they have all been from the street or drive)

Hope that helps someone choose the best solutions for themselves

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* 2017 W222 S350d SWB AMG Line Premium Plus
* Ashford, Kent & Mons, Belgium
Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
From my own testing with a new 2017 MB car and research into protecting it.

* The "double tap" on the lock car button on the Keyless-Go key does deactivate the Keyless-Go function on that key and works as intended. It only deactivates that specific key and not the car. Press any button on the key to make the Keyless-Go function active. This is why I use a Faraday cage pouch, since it is very easy to accidentally press a button on a deactivated Keyless-Go key, which then reactivates it.

* A good Faraday cage pouch works perfectly as intended, jamming all signals from the key. I bought two for about £10 from China. the You can hold the active Keyless-Go key in the pouch right up to the car and it will not be detected by the car. But you have to use the pouch properly - make sure that the key is in the blocking part of the pitch and the cover is closed. Convenience: it takes me two seconds as I'm walking to/away from the car to remove/secure the active Keyless-Go key from/into the pouch. It's easy and doesn't waste any time whatsoever.

* A solid metal box also works which is obviously not convenient as a mobile blocker for most car drivers, but it is good for home use. Any solid metal container, even foil lined will work. It is, of course, easy to make your own pouch out of aluminium foil. Don't forget to always test your device! (by taking it to your car with the active Keyless-Go key inside it). Metal foil or sheet works because the metal crystal lattice is smaller than the wavelength of the radio waves used by these 433MHz devices.

* Electronic scanners are straightforward to assemble to detect radio waves from your key/pouch/tin. Basically a device is composed of: Receiver + processor + software, eg DVB-T USB TV stick + laptop/Raspberry Pi/Android phone + SDR (software defined radio) software/app. Instructions are all over the internet. These are legal and not attacking drive they do not transmit, they are defensive. I have set one up for less than £10 and detected the transmissions from my active Keyless-Go keys (as well as my old Saab and garage keys).

* Scumbag thieves can use off-the-shelf hardware. Two units can be bought over the internet from other scumbags who make them. They do not need to have any technical expertise whatsoever. There is nothing professional in what they do, except get paid, with as much skill as a beggar.

* Other preventative and immobilising methods include (and, of course, do different things):
- temporarily removing one or more essential fuses
- GHOST or other action-based immobiliser
- ODBII port lock or move (put dummy port in its place)
- steering lock
- special alarm not connected to Keyless-Go
- geofence car and alarm on phone
- put car in a secure garage! (I've not yet seen a reported Keyless-Go car theft froma garage - they have all been from the street or drive)

Hope that helps someone choose the best solutions for themselves

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* 2017 W222 S350d SWB AMG Line Premium Plus
* Ashford, Kent & Mons, Belgium
Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

the point though, being that whilst all you have said is sound advice, it should NOT BE NECESSARY!!!!! a case in point, your own car is, at a guess, £60k+ brand new. it SHOULD be harder to steal (or at least break into without damaging the car), in factory spec, than a £20k Ford Mondeo, (for example) BUT without aftermarket add-ons or a garage, having read this thread, id take a chance on the Ford over the Mercedes for security!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom