Poor starting W202 C280 1996

MAXP

Reaction score
Hello All

I have a '96 C280 which has been faultless all its life. At 140,000 miles now and still uses hardly any oil at all.

It has always started first turn of the key but it has gradually got worse and worse. It will fire but I have to let it churn away for a while. Cold or hot same problem. However it will sometimes start first time!

My question is what components/sensors are likely to cause this. Could it be that I simply need new plugs or should I be looking at a particular sensor? There are no warning lights on the dash, so I'm guessing there are no codes to check for diagnosis?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Max

DJC013

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK 320 Auto in Linarite Blue / Black Leather
Hello, could be either the Crankshaft Position Sensor, or the Camshaft Position Sensor ? Best regards Damian. :)

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Would agree with the cps..... first port of call

OP
M

MAXP

Reaction score
Many thanks for the replies. I will check it out.

Thanks

OP
M

MAXP

Reaction score
Checked evrything...eventually took it to MB for diagnosis...computer says "Oxygen sensor fault". MB says it's one of the two lambda sensors. Can this give poor starting?

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
C280 of that age will be a straight 6 so surely only has 1 lambda sensor? Cant see that being the cause though. You should check the state of your engine loome, prehaps clean the throttle body aswell.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom