possibly dodgy sl 320 v6??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

vipers

Reaction score
my neighbour brought a 'v' 2000 sl 320 v6.

the guy in the dealership ( apparently a huge one, not sure which one tho) told my neighbour that the car was first registered in aug '00 and has been serivced at the same garage (that dealership) for its liffe span so far 32k miles. and it was a personal import from holland (previous owner did this) and my neighbour enquired " is it possible that the car could have been used and driven around holland and registered etc?" the sales rep said "no, i can tell ytou weh it came out of the factory(taps on computer ) then says came out of factory jan '00".

so he went ahead with it paid for it all on bankers draft so he can't get his money back blah blah.

on the invoice it said date of manufacture nov '98!!???!?

so neighbour queiried this and sales rep said sorry its my mistake, typo error been long day blah blah.

so this distered my neighbour so he got it home, went over the car with a fine tooth come basically to see if he could see anything wrong with it. he couldn't it was immaculate. he was looking thru owners book and there was a number you could ring for absolutey anything ( number was for mercedes) so he rang them and asked if they could verify the date of manufature from the VIN, they came back with manufactured in nov '98 and he asked if there was any details of what happened with it. so they looked thru the system for him and came back with that all they had on the system was that it was shipped strait away to holland and had no further records of what happened with it after that. so they gave my neighbour contact details of the dutch equivilent to the dvla to do some checking over there and told him they'll look into it there end.

my neighbour just can't believe that someone would have just stored it in a warehouse or soemthign for a year and a half. because there was only delviery mileage on the car when it was registed in the UK and all the 32k miles were verified by the servicing all in the uk. he feels that it mite be a funny car.

the thing he is p1ssed off about is that the sales rep seemed so nice and has blatantly lied to him, so feels like hecan't trust anything that they tell him, so he isn't going back to them untill he finds some thigns out about it.

so i was wondering if any of u guys had some thoughts of what might be in the undiscovered year and a half history.

OP
V

vipers

Reaction score
bttt

anyone know of any body who canhelp out with the situation?

Spike

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 SL500
It all depends if he likes the car or not.

If MB have the car first registered in 1998 then whoever registered the car with the DVLA must have showed different paperwork in order to get it registered as a 2000 machine.

Either the DVLA mucked up or there was some dodgy paperwork being used. The DVLA should still have copies of the original documentation provided by the person who first registered the car in the UK.

To be frank, this should have been spotted by the MB dealer and your neighbour has more than enough grounds to get a refund. If he wants to keep the car however then I would imagine he has extremely good grounds to get money back for the two year difference in the cars age...and for the inconvenience.

I think that both the local trading standards dept and the DVLA would be extreamly interested in the history of this car. I personally would contact the DVLA pronto and get the ball rolling...whilst at the same time, demand a full refund from the dealer. It may well be that there is a plausible explanation for the discrepency but on the other hand, it could also be a ringer. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom