Postcode navigation functionality compromised upon update to comand APS 2018/19 version 19

SteveStav

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 (R230)/ 2007 / 3.5
Hi,

I own a 350 SL (R230) 2006 model and have just updated the Comand APS Navigation for Europe from Version 5.0 to version 19.0.

Upon first use I was horrified to discover that the postcode search functionality has been compromised.

Upon selection of the Post Code option, one progresses through the entry of the first part of the post code. In version 5.0, the affirmation of pressing the 'OK' button would find the location (City / Town / Street etc..), whereupon one can begin the formal route search. However, this new version 19.0 proceeds through the entry of city / town, followed by street and then post code (AGAIN) before embarking on the formal route search.

So, it appears that for the sake of freshening up the maps I've lost the navigation by post code functionality.

The new DVD cost £156 and right now it feels like money not very well spent!

Is there a setting that needs to be applied, is this a bug or is it a deliberate functional 'upgrade'?

Your guidance will be very much appreciated.

Steve

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Hi,

I own a 350 SL (R230) 2006 model and have just updated the Comand APS Navigation for Europe from Version 5.0 to version 19.0.

Upon first use I was horrified to discover that the postcode search functionality has been compromised.

Upon selection of the Post Code option, one progresses through the entry of the first part of the post code. In version 5.0, the affirmation of pressing the 'OK' button would find the location (City / Town / Street etc..), whereupon one can begin the formal route search. However, this new version 19.0 proceeds through the entry of city / town, followed by street and then post code (AGAIN) before embarking on the formal route search.

So, it appears that for the sake of freshening up the maps I've lost the navigation by post code functionality.

Is there a setting that needs to be applied, is this a bug or is it a deliberate functional 'upgrade'?

Steve

The NTG1 postcode function has always been rubbish being limited to five characters. It seems the Germans who use five characters couldnt possibly see any need for any more!

I will experiment with this 'feature' you have described above on an NTG1 car soon and report back (hopefully).

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
That’s why no one else had replied - we were all waiting for @Alfie to impart his wisdom. :)

crippo2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 (R230) & CLK350 (W209)
Hi,

Steve
Steve
Presumably you got the pukka version with, I believe, the MB part A211 827 09 01?
despite what it says on the rear of the box about the DVD not functioning on the 04 -08 SL it works, as you have found out

If you look at the install instructions you might need the s/w update 30/06. This may already be on your system alternatively might be on the DVD and install automatically, or perhaps not.

As you say post code usefulness on NTG1 is not so good

Alfie will help on all this.

crippo2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 (R230) & CLK350 (W209)
Hi,

I own a 350 SL (R230) 2006 model and have just updated the Comand APS Navigation for Europe from Version 5.0 to version 19.0....this new version ... proceeds through the entry of city / town, followed by street and then post code (AGAIN) before embarking on the formal route search.
Having now installed V19 in the post 06/06 SL and looking @ your complaint, I realise how little I use the postcode function in the UK.
Both V18 & V19 use postcode entries (which incidentally can be made much more quickly using the keypad) to identify the city/town (which may or may not be what you want), then the road and finally the building numbers grouped by the missing last 2 postcode digits. I do not see any second chance to enter the postcode.

bit steep that - MB sell them for less than £100
No settings - it's just the way it is.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom