Pre Safe Inoperative See Owners Manual - Help!

js11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
eclass/2014/e220
Hi All,

I'm new to the site and really need some help please.

I have a 2014 (Facelift) E Class Coupe, E220 Diesel model.

Earlier I went to start the car, but I got an error on the dashboard : Pre Safe Inoperative See Owners Manual.

As it's automatic, it won't let me put the car in reverse or drive. it's stuck on Park.

Please can anyone help? I will call the dealers tomorrow morning as they are closed now, but if anyone has some advice please let me know!

p.s. I hope this is covered by my warranty, i still have 8 months left on it.
thanks!

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I would phone Mobilo this evening, your car will still be covered. Your car is disabled so they will likely have to take it to the dealer, then you will be provided a loan car until yours is fixed. Takes (most of ) the hassle from you. The loan is generally provided by Europcar and they try to give you a B class which you should refuse on the basis you drive an E

OP
J

js11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
eclass/2014/e220
Hi John, thanks for the reply.

Sorry i am not familiar with Mobilo, is that part of Mercedes? Any causes as to why it's disabled, never had any errors before and i've had it for 14 months or so.

thanks!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Mobilo is Mercedes very efficient breakdown free service which is provided during warranty- you should have the number in your book, or might even be programmed into your car/phone memory. If you can't find it look on t'internet.
They will need to run a diagnostic to find the issue, then either reset or repair.
Bit odd that it disabled the car, usually it would revert to 'limp mode' to get you where you're going but maybe since the car was stopped and in park it reacts that way- not sure on that

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
I'll be the first one to ask. What does it say in the owners manual?:p

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
it will say stop and restart after 3 minutes or something similar iirc but presumably the op has done that

OP
J

js11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
eclass/2014/e220
Thanks for the replies

the handbook says take to the garage immediately. But unfortunately i can't move the car from my driveway to do that!

OP
J

js11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
eclass/2014/e220
Mobilo is Mercedes very efficient breakdown free service which is provided during warranty- you should have the number in your book, or might even be programmed into your car/phone memory. If you can't find it look on t'internet.
They will need to run a diagnostic to find the issue, then either reset or repair.
Bit odd that it disabled the car, usually it would revert to 'limp mode' to get you where you're going but maybe since the car was stopped and in park it reacts that way- not sure on that

thanks , very useful.

Yeah i haven't driven it for a week or so, very strange!

Roxie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 350CDI 2012
surely the car has three year warranty?

Many things can bring the pre safe warning up but I cannot think of one that will also stop you selecting a gear.

Maybe something like the steering control module failed and this has rendered the gear selector inoperable. Whatever it is not much you can do to fix it or find the problem.

as above call the workshop or mobile.

OP
J

js11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
eclass/2014/e220
Hi All

appreciate all the responses.

Just wanted to provide a little update on my car if your curious as to what happened.

So following John's advice , I called the roadside assistance. Unfortunately I wasn't at home until today, so we scheduled it in for earlier today.

However I checked the car last night, and there was no issue! the message has gone and I could select the gears etc.

The technican came today, ran all the tests but no fault found. He suggested it could be a random one off technical glitch.
I sure do hope this is the case, as I wouldn't like to be stranded 100 miles away from home with a useless car!!

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I would suggest if it happened on the move it would indeed drop into limp mode and it's unlikely you'd be stranded

Oh, and thanks for getting back with an update, it's nice to get that, sometimes we're left wondering!

Last edited:

Popebanku

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Benz C200 2007 model
Hi wise folks!
It seems this is the best place to get possible answers to a nagging problem on my wife's car (a mercedes C200 '08 reg).
For some months now the following information has been showing up constantly on the dash: 'pre-safe inoperative, consult owners manual' and ' front right malfunction consult workshop'.
These messages are now a constant fixture on the information screen but nothing else seems to happen to the vehicle.
We've taken it to the mechanic who changed something blamed the front headlight and had it replaced but the problem still persists.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Singhengr

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class W212 2012
Hi All

appreciate all the responses.

Just wanted to provide a little update on my car if your curious as to what happened.

So following John's advice , I called the roadside assistance. Unfortunately I wasn't at home until today, so we scheduled it in for earlier today.

However I checked the car last night, and there was no issue! the message has gone and I could select the gears etc.

The technican came today, ran all the tests but no fault found. He suggested it could be a random one off technical glitch.
I sure do hope this is the case, as I wouldn't like to be stranded 100 miles away from home with a useless car!!
Hi

Please can you advice what was the actual fault with your car. I am in similar situation where the error messages for presafe and abs inoperative comes intermittently and then go by itself after few restarts ranging from 2 to sometimes 200.

Thanks

Keith Tindell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class 20131800 CDI
The same thing has just happened to me on my 5 year B class but it dosen't happen all the time, it hasn't cut out or anything like that it just says Pre-safe functions currently limited and see the owners manual to which is not a lot of help as it says see a main dealer and as I live in the middle of nowhere that is not an easy thing to do

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom