problem gear box

philthelizard

New Registration
Reaction score
hi ,i wondered if anyone could help me .i have a 1997 w210 auto .the problem i have is if i don't let the car warm up for 15mins the gear box wont drive properly it has to be driven in manual mode ,if i try it in drive it wont change out of 1st gear for about 15mins ,ive had the gear box dip tested and thats ok please can anyone help cheers phil

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
hi ,i wondered if anyone could help me .i have a 1997 w210 auto .the problem i have is if i don't let the car warm up for 15mins the gear box wont drive properly it has to be driven in manual mode ,if i try it in drive it wont change out of 1st gear for about 15mins ,ive had the gear box dip tested and thats ok please can anyone help cheers phil
W210 1997? can you give me the VIN number:rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Your car will be a 210026 nothing really listed other than transmission sticks in 1st gear and that could be the Centrifugal governor.

Another is KS clutch leaky or gasket damaged, this is a gearbox out job.

I think it is going to be a job for a gearbox re builder. Where are you located .

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Your car will be a 210026 nothing really listed other than transmission sticks in 1st gear and that could be the Centrifugal governor.

Another is KS clutch leaky or gasket damaged, this is a gearbox out job.

I think it is going to be a job for a gearbox re builder. Where are you located .

Could be right there, but what about a diagnostic test first?

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
Just to throw something into the mix, what if the selector unit is full of hot chocolate and fluff, and when in D, thinks its in 1?

Might be worth a check before spending big money. Just a thought.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just to throw something into the mix, what if the selector unit is full of hot chocolate and fluff, and when in D, thinks its in 1?

Might be worth a check before spending big money. Just a thought.

Hi Parrot, trouble here is that 1 is a long way from D and its OK when its warm.

the Box will have to be read cold and running, if anything will come out of diagnosis

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom