Project CLK55 AMG

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I like that Grill with the black slats, looks more subtle, want one on my car but may have to wrap mine (If I keep it)

OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
The donor car has the black and white bonnet badge which is very nice

Is that a proper M-B badge?

I like that Grill with the black slats, looks more subtle, want one on my car but may have to wrap mine (If I keep it)

The joke is that mine has a black grill, but has 4 bars whereas a facelift has 3. Looking at the selection of CLK55’s for sale right now, all but 3 on AT have the facelift grill fitted! Maybe I should leave it as it is?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The joke is that mine has a black grill, but has 4 bars whereas a facelift has 3. Looking at the selection of CLK55’s for sale right now, all but 3 on AT have the facelift grill fitted! Maybe I should leave it as it is?

Tells you the 3 bar is nicer ;)

OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
Tells you the 3 bar is nicer ;)
I suppose; but I like OEM me haha!

I believe MB Newcastle were selling them Sasha...
Hmmmm... I am tempted, also tempted by the new style black centre caps, had a quick peek in the M-B store in the Trafford Centre on Thursday and they had a GLC with them on. Would look good on my wheels ;)

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No, is that different to mine?? Got me googling now haha!
It's the one in the pic - with a black background, introduced in March 2017 - looks great on black cars, not sure it'll be an improvement for your silver one ...

OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
Hmmmm, might work with the centre caps done as well.... All in time though, lets get the grill here first, it's being sent tomorrow.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I suppose; but I like OEM me haha!

It is OEM but with a difference, call it OEM+

For me the 3 bar Grill looks less fussy as the grill on a CLK is not that big anyway

OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
I know, it's the only method of upgrade I'm into with this car. In my head it is great as it is but there is lots I want to do. I like the 3 bar grill, really want to see it on the car, as you say, its not really a big enough grill for 4 bars. As long as I'm only doing mods that can be reversed I'm quite happy to do a few things to make the car feel 'mine'. I'm hoping to use it to go down to the NEC Classic Car show next weekend, but we'll see how that pans out, might be too many of us going to fit.

Still on the 'essential' to do list,
Leather re colour, there's a big scratch on the right rear seat and a small section of damage to the drivers seat and I want to fix them before they get worse.
ISOFIX points, still using the child seat with the belt when he's in it, don't want to.
SRS Light, just a seat emulator should sort that.
Mangled lock bolt, a set of new nuts is coming soon.
iPod/Aux fitting. I will do this somehow!!
Drivers heated seat still broken.

Feels like I've done a lot to the car, but my to-do list hasn't shrunk much haha :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ISOFIX points, still using the child seat with the belt when he's in it, don't want to.

That is easy, they are bolt in brackets, ask MB Grangemouth for prices, if they are the same as a W203 then about £30 each

I have a 7yo and 5yo and their seats isofix to the car and uses the seatbelt to hold them in

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
iPod/Aux fitting. I will do this somehow!!
If you have a MOST-linked CDC in the glove box, you can replace it with a MOST multimedia centre - not OEM, of course, but completely hidden, so doesn't alter the appearance of your interior at all. It's not cheap, but looks like a well put together kit.

It's this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122219754457

OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
That is easy, they are bolt in brackets, ask MB Grangemouth for prices, if they are the same as a W203 then about £30 each

I have a 7yo and 5yo and their seats isofix to the car and uses the seatbelt to hold them in
Yeah I gather they aren’t overly expensive and I know from experience they are straightforward to fit. They are nice and shiny too!!

If you have a MOST-linked CDC in the glove box, you can replace it with a MOST multimedia centre - not OEM, of course, but completely hidden, so doesn't alter the appearance of your interior at all. It's not cheap, but looks like a well put together kit.

It's this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122219754457
Thanks, trouble I’m up against is the Audio 10 isn’t MOST and you just can’t get an aux in there without soldering the sound chip from what I can tell so far but I am willing to dig, or get a used working Audio 10 to try the soldering on first!!

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
03' BMW 325Ci
Welcome back Sasha, face-lift grill looks good, just wondering how long it'll be until you can't resist a quad exhaust no longer haha.

OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
Thanks :) the kitty has been emptied, the child’s bank account has been emptied, the house has been raided, every piggy bank smashed and the budget for Volvo bits slashed this month to get the Benz ready for the weekend. Ok. So it’s not quite that bad yet, but you get the idea! In that sense, the quad exhaust is quite a way off yet and with prices coming back at £650-900 for the job I’d rather spend that (non existent) money on the paintwork so it’s staying a left exit only system for now.

Tomorrow the car is back in the tyre place for another pair of Road Sharks, this time for the back to replace the Kumho’s that took a battering on the track and it’s also having a laser 4 wheel alignment done. Also arriving tomorrow is a seat emulator. I was cheeky and used the sellers make offer button in the early hours of the morning and it was accepted. They are usually £34, now down to £31, I offered £25 and it was accepted minutes later so I paid and it will be here tomorrow. Not sure if I’ll have enough daylight to go to work and have all that done but it’ll be done before the weekend. The grill is due Wednesday so may even fit that before the weekend so you guys who are going to the NEC Classic show Saturday can look out for it in the car park; it’ll be there :D

OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
Well, new road sharks were fitted today and the car was tracked. It drives much better now and I like that it has 4 matching tyres, even if the front 2 look like they are used and the rears are obviously still brand new.

The new seat mat emulator arrived today which was good and that gave me a chance to remind myself of the first class bodgery that has been going on under this seat!! The actual plug has been removed totally and the wiring was soldered together with an emulator in place. I wired the new emulator in place of the old and had success, a flashing LED and no SRS light. Then again, there was no belt light on either. Had a proper look and the belt wires have been snipped at the source! So the belt butler wasn’t working but the light was off and I was happy until I started packing up the tools and ‘beeeeeep’ SRS Restraint system malfunction, Visit Workshop! arrived on the dash!!! It was SRS Restraint system Service Beofre. The LED is now off and I’m not sure what’s gone on? Can anyone advise or make a suggestion before I tear my hair out!! Stupid stupid system, I am gettting highly annoyed with the SRS system now :( Thanks

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Don't take this the wrong way, but I've never had any success with using emulators on Mercedes Benz. BMW, yes, no problem, but the Mercs are finicky in my experience. Personally I would buy a seat mat and be done with it. I wish you all the luck with it though if you wish to persevere!

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I fitted one in my old car, but it wasn't a "universal" fancy box type - just a PCB, and specifically for that model of seat sensor (SRS6, if I remember correctly). Worked perfectly fine, with no errors, etc

OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
I’d like to either get a new seat mat or code the whole silly system out. If I get a new mat though, I’ll need a new wiring loom through the seat thanks to the bodgery. I don’t want to use an emulator either but the cost right now is prohibitive for a new seat mat and fitting. I thought I’d chance it for £25 and see how it goes before committing to looking for a new seat mat and a proper factory solution. The error message has now changed back to the previous SRS Restraint system Service so until I can get it on a scanner I’m even more confused! The logical next step is to scan it, clear the codes and try again from there. I will only persevere until the spring when, with the help of some heavy saving, I will probably get a new seat mat in to fix the issue properly. The longer I can avoid it though, the more time I have to save for it!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom