Protests against diesels

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Maybe peoples have realised that the hype spewed our way from those that purport to be saving our planet is just cr*p.

To scrap all the diesel motors in favour of replacing them with new electric cars would be worse for the planet. The gradual replacement of the diesels as they die of old age is far more environment friendly.
It won't generate the same tax revenues in the short term though.
I think this is what the 2040 ban is about - as the date grows closer there will be fewer pure ICE vehicles available from the manufacturers hence the used market will also start to shrink effectively reducing the number of ICE powered vehicles on the road long before the 2040 deadline.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I think this is what the 2040 ban is about - as the date grows closer there will be fewer pure ICE vehicles available from the manufacturers hence the used market will also start to shrink effectively reducing the number of ICE powered vehicles on the road long before the 2040 deadline.

Yep I've sussed that.
It will encourage the manufacturers to invest in improving battery technology.

So the tree huggers might be better relaxing some and allowing that strategy to take its natural course.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

I wonder if the MoT and the Treasury's thinking has been joined up enough to look at the loss of fuel duty at the pump they'll be seeing as this initiative comes into force...

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
Local News yesterday was full of a new wind farm 7 miles off shore near Brighton, enough capacity for 350,000 homes.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I laughed a lot at that
It does take a special kind of stupid to go back onto a sinking ship, to a cabin under the waterline, to retrieve belongings.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I wonder if the MoT and the Treasury's thinking has been joined up enough to look at the loss of fuel duty at the pump they'll be seeing as this initiative comes into force...

probably they will tax electric to death then as there will be no need for insurance (self driving cars, so no insurance premium tax) fuel tax (as we know it) etc. either that or what we currently know generically as 'road tax' will probably be the equivalent in todays money of £1k or more per year

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
probably they will tax electric to death then as there will be no need for insurance (self driving cars, so no insurance premium tax) fuel tax (as we know it) etc. either that or what we currently know generically as 'road tax' will probably be the equivalent in todays money of £1k or more per year

Long before 2040 the road use licence will replace VED, and either toll road charges electronically applied or ppm will be pay per mile instead of parts per million.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.

They didn't the last time Gideon lowered RFL for low emissions cars, hence this years March 31 headlong rush for cars over £45k so from next year they pay the flat rate £140. Above £45k it's £500 for 5 years.

Did you notice the reports of poor car sales in April in contrast to March? Wonder why that was then, asks the government, d'oh.

Problem is with these arrogant public school poorly educated idiots like Gideon is with their love of charlie their braincells diminish before they remember what they just did, and won't dare to be reminded from history of what went wrong before.

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
That link to the BBC article about "electrification" shows the BBC's usual efforts to slant the arguement in a particular direction, probably intentionally, although it might just be the journalist's personal bias:-

"A strong or full hybrid, like the Toyota Prius, uses a relatively powerful electric motor alongside a conventional engine, but you don't need to plug it in for a recharge."

The phrase "you don't need to plug it in for a recharge." implies this is a good thing, but fails to mention that you don't get owt for nowt and the fuel consiumption will be adversely affected. Plug-in hybrids are fundementally more efficient, (discounting power station inefficiencies), and the article "fails" to say so..

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That link to the BBC article about "electrification" shows the BBC's usual efforts to slant the arguement in a particular direction, probably intentionally, although it might just be the journalist's personal bias:-

"A strong or full hybrid, like the Toyota Prius, uses a relatively powerful electric motor alongside a conventional engine, but you don't need to plug it in for a recharge."

The phrase "you don't need to plug it in for a recharge." implies this is a good thing, but fails to mention that you don't get owt for nowt and the fuel consiumption will be adversely affected. Plug-in hybrids are fundementally more efficient, (discounting power station inefficiencies), and the article "fails" to say so..

The key there is, discounting power station efficiencies. The UK power generation sector currently (ha! See what I did there) runs at 31% efficiency to typical domestic urban power outlet, and 28% to rural outlet (2014 data). The latest Toyota gasoline engine with data published (again 2014) achieves 38%. Some F1 engines are approaching 47% from discussion in the office. So then the question comes down to transmission losses (5%) and losses at the alternator/ generator (3%). Cumulative not linear, so 38% losing 3% becomes 36.9%, that losing 5% becomes 35.0%.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
They didn't the last time Gideon lowered RFL for low emissions cars, hence this years March 31 headlong rush for cars over £45k so from next year they pay the flat rate £140. Above £45k it's £500 for 5 years.

Did you notice the reports of poor car sales in April in contrast to March? Wonder why that was then, asks the government, d'oh.

Problem is with these arrogant public school poorly educated idiots like Gideon is with their love of charlie their braincells diminish before they remember what they just did, and won't dare to be reminded from history of what went wrong before.

The son of Felicity Alexandra Loxton-Peacock and Sir Peter Osbourne poorly educated and a bit thick ?
pompous prat, maybe well definitely, but last time I failed to get in Magdalen College Oxford it was because my results weren't good enough.
Me I just don't like his politics.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
It does take a special kind of stupid to go back onto a sinking ship, to a cabin under the waterline, to retrieve belongings.

Like anything a hippy owns is worth retreiving

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
How long til I'm driving along in my C220CDI and some unwashed, bearded twonk tries to stop me going about my business?

I think Jeremy Corbyn has more pressing matters to deal with.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
The son of Felicity Alexandra Loxton-Peacock and Sir Peter Osbourne poorly educated and a bit thick ?
pompous prat, maybe well definitely, but last time I failed to get in Magdalen College Oxford it was because my results weren't good enough.
Me I just don't like his politics.

Education is greater than the fee paid at academic institutions, and continues throughout life.

Having worked alongside some of the alumni of OxBridge and dug them out due to poor comprehension of basic sums, physics and the written word to the tune of billions, I'm not persuaded that a paid for course at a red brick is a guarantee of education.

Top Bottom