Purchase dispute

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Which dealer is doing this awful sales practice ?

OP
T

tedfred

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 : SLK 200, AMG , R172 Eng' 271.861
Gentlemen,

Forgive me if I had not previously made my position clear, I did leave the car at the dealership to be re-prepared after my initial visit, despite being asked to remove it.
I revisited the franchise today with some reluctance, then spent 2 hours talking to both the Director and the Sales Manager.
The experience was a very civilised exchange in which both Gentleman accepted my complaints.. Eventually the Director left the meeting in order to bring the car into the " Presentation Bay" but returned empty handed as he had seen further issues with the vehicle he wished to be resolved. When the car was finally presented, I must admit it had been transformed. However the Director again saw damage to the two rear wheel rims and asked to me if I wanted these repaired and repainted. I of course agreed and now the car is due to be delivered to me on Saturday morning.

I have to say that I got the impression that they were going out of their way to rectify the problems with the car and rebuild my trust in Mercedes. They have performed a first class job in relation to both issues and in doing so I feel that I might own a car t I am proud of on Saturday.

Credit where credit is due, the debacle I believe is resolved but why Oh why, could this not have been done in the first instance? This was certainly an expensive way of preparing a car in terms of time, effort and possible damaged reputations.

I would just add, I feel for those people in their later years who finally, by what ever means realise their dream of owning a Merc and are then are subjected to this kind of service. I suspect that many without the wherewithal or means to challenge the situation drive away disappointed with a car they feel has been thrust upon them. Why do you have to fight so damn hard for seemingly everything in life? Rhetorical question........... should be posted on a different board.

Regards and Thanks to ALL
Tedfred

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

I would just add, I feel for those people in their later years who finally, by what ever means realise their dream of owning a Merc and ...

A Merc is just a car ..... years ago they were a rarity due to their expense. Now theres a Merc on every corner

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Glad it's sorted and you are happy buddy . Enjoy the motoring when you finall get hold of it .

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Unfortunately, tedfred much of it is the way of the world nowadays where the care-less attitude can only start at the top...

I started at a (then) British Leyland distributor in North London some 40 odd years ago - it had been around for many years. The MD was a stickler for good manners, starting with clothing - if a salesman just took his jacket off in the showroom, he got fired. He would often just suddenly appear and introduce himself to a customer although many people knew him because he'd been there forever - but when he asked "is everything okay today?" he meant "is everything really okay?" and he would politely/gently probe - and if it wasn't okay he would soon "reason" with staff concerned. Unfortunately, you've done very well to get to speak to the Sales Director - in most places these days he's always out/in a meeting etc. Some of the stories people have posted here are astounding descriptions of companies who (we assume) make money despite rather than because of what they do!

But on the other hand there really are some superb dealers, traders and independents around, some of whom are members here - they're the ones who care about their service in all areas of the business and have their hearts in the business.

OP
T

tedfred

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 : SLK 200, AMG , R172 Eng' 271.861
Thank you all once more for your response,

I do not know the protocol for using this website, so forgive me if a step out of line and ask for further advice here as opposed to posting numerous questions under various subject headings everywhere else.

I am told that I can have the car serviced and preserve the warranty at garages other than Mercedes dealers, if they are VAT registered/use genuine parts and/or are Mercedes approved. How can I gain a list of these " approved " garages, I was told of one fairly close to me, who informed me they service all Mercedes cars and have Mercedes trained staff. However, after further enquiry they admitted they can not access the Mercedes data base to record the Servicing work performed. As I do not want to be mislead into losing my 3 year warranty, is there a list I can access of Mercedes approved service centres.

I am reluctant to use the service facilities in the dealership I bought the car from, for reasons explained above.

Regards to All

Tedfred

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I do not know the protocol for using this website, so forgive me if a step out of line and ask for further advice here as opposed to posting numerous questions under various subject headings everywhere else.

I am told that I can have the car serviced and preserve the warranty at garages other than Mercedes dealers, if they are VAT registered/use genuine parts and/or are Mercedes approved. How can I gain a list of these " approved " garages, I was told of one fairly close to me, who informed me they service all Mercedes cars and have Mercedes trained staff. However, after further enquiry they admitted they can not access the Mercedes data base to record the Servicing work performed. As I do not want to be mislead into losing my 3 year warranty, is there a list I can access of Mercedes approved service centres.

I am reluctant to use the service facilities in the dealership I bought the car from, for reasons explained above.

Regards to All

Tedfred
Where do you live so someone can recommend a good Merc independent for you . There is also a list of recommended garages on the mbo club website .
It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission :rolleyes:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Sounds like its being resolved and at least you have had a chance to see what wanted doing.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
I would just add, I feel for those people in their later years who finally, by what ever means realise their dream of owning a Merc and are then are subjected to this kind of service.

I think in a lot of cases tedfred its exactly the opposite. People in their later years (that's me) have often a lot more experience of identifying and dealing with this type of situation and know when to walk away at a very early stage, thereby avoiding the nonsense you have had to put up with. I've done it on a handful of occasions. I know what you mean about everything being a struggle sometimes.:rolleyes: . Davemercedes has it right there are a lot of good traders about.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Glad the OP has resolved the problems with the car and wish him well with it.

As already said MB are now a volume manufacturer at the higher end of the market long gone are the days of personal service that went with the exclusivity of the marque unless you are buying new circa £50-100K every 3 years or so as a ticket to ride.

I’m sure his perseverance with the various managers involved led to a better resolution than most and good for him for reminding them what good sales is all about but despite that they appear to have lost a service customer their mantra is obviously ‘never mind there will be another one along in five minutes’

Second hand car sales is now a highly geared activity with volume the key that doesn’t allow a lot of time for prep for sale to meet targets, a caveat to that is to look for a car that has been well looked after and walk away from the rest

Last edited:

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Regards to All

Tedfred

In this link there's a long discussion about servicing and MOBILO which incorporates the free pan-European breakdown service (dependant upon service at MB dealerships etc). Page 1 includes a good write-up by member hawk20. You will see that as your car ages, you have to weigh up the value of the breakdown service versus MB service rates etc. Some members swear by it, others (like me) take alternatives - personally I have free European breakdown service with my bank account and my local independent and incredibly helpful garage charge a fraction of MB rates.... you pays yer money and takes yer choice!

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php?threads/mobilo-a-summary.45278/

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Mine is euro cover on Nationwide (yes I know I'm not Dave :D)
Cheers - just been googling and Nationwide and Coop seem to do Euro cover. Worth bearing in mind.
Thanks!

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Which bank is that Dave?
My mother-in-law has free breakdown cover with LLoyds. That's handy for her, she's 83 and has never driven a car in her life !! :rolleyes: It did come in handy for me though when I filled my diesel W204 with petrol. Cost me £220.00 to have it sorted road side !! :rolleyes:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
My mother-in-law has free breakdown cover with LLoyds. That's handy for her, she's 83 and has never driven a car in her life !! :rolleyes:
Yeah I have LLoyds breakdown cover too but its UK only.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cheers - just been googling and Nationwide and Coop seem to do Euro cover. Worth bearing in mind.
Thanks!
If you decide Nationwide , go with a joint account and you and Mrs LK are covered

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mine is Nationwide too - I have their Flexplus account.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom