Purchasing a C240 - what to look out for?

Avenger

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 W203 2002
Hi all,

Very new to here, so be gentle!

I'm looking at buying a C240 this week, its a 2002 model, 124k miles, blue / mauve body with grey interior. In a bit of a state and needing some serious TLC which I'm willing to give.

Have asked it be put through a full MOT at a friend's MOT station before the purchase.

Any advice from you in relation to any regular or hidden problem issues I should be looking out for?

Many thanks in advance. Oh, and hi!

nyx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 1998 e240 saloon
hi. just dont pay too much for the c class as good clean ones already sorted are pretty cheap and plentiful. good luck

OP
A

Avenger

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 W203 2002
Prices are tricky - for this mileage and model, it seems to be anywhere from £1,500 up to £3,000 depending on the usual things.

Unless I have it terribly wrong of course! :shock:

nyx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 1998 e240 saloon
you are right about prices. they vary hugely so you can only buy on condition i think.
i went looking at 21 w124's and priced from 1-4k and the most expensive ones wernt always the best. i bought mine because the body and interor is nearly mint and a full mb service history.

i saw a nice 1999 c240 yesterday locally with 85k on clock in dark blue with cream leather and very clean at £950. i was tempted but went back today and was sold.

OP
A

Avenger

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 W203 2002
Are we allowed to bump posts, or are there very few C240 owners out there with experience of problems?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Probably not what you want to hear, but I'd probably be looking at a late W202 rather than an early W203. The 202's are prone to a little rust here and there, but early W203's are getting that way now too. Earlier cars carry far fewer electronics, and tend to be more reliable in that department in my experience.
Sure, steering box vs rack is a debate, but the box system is very robust and long lasting.

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom