Push button climate control on W210

Russell_Allen

Reaction score
I have an E320 97 W210, the fan will only blow very gently even on the maximum setting. I know the fan speed controllers on these have a reputation for going faulty, I would like to test the output of the pushbutton unit and the fan controller. How do I test the fan controller and the output from the push button conrol unit? is the push button control unit output analogue or digital?. I have removed the filters and replaced the covers to check for blocked filters.

Thanks,

Russell Allen

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi Alen, they are digital for this part, the buttons switches are known for getting dirty, use a good switch cleaner. you have to take it apart to do this, it comes out quite easily

From memory I think that the outputs go up to 5 volt from this unit

OP
R

Russell_Allen

Reaction score
I don't think the switches on the push button unit are at fault. The fan legend on the display goes up and down as they are pressed, unfortunately the fan speed doesn't go up and down as well.

Regards

Russell Allen

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Then measure the output to the fan regulator, it sould alter dependent on the switch settings

OP
R

Russell_Allen

Reaction score
Tested the fan by bypassing the regulator, blows like a hurricane. Tested the signal from the control unit, voltage goes from 0v to about 6.5v as the fan is adjusted. So I think the regulator is knacked.

Regards

Russell Allen

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You are correct in what you say, that output is right from the control unit

OP
R

Russell_Allen

Reaction score
shock and awe

Get this...... at local MB dealership, take in old regulator. Another one of these please.....Certainly sir....fiddles with computer...ah that part has been withdrawn and a new type replacement is listed, unfortunately you need to change the fan unit and buy an adapter harness total cost £620+vat. At this point I laughed waiting for the punchline.

Sourced one second hand for £85 from an MB breakers.

Truly daylight robbery

Regards

Russell Allen

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Welcome to our world Russell :)

If it's any consolation it's not all bad. (Not all good either mind) ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Get this...... at local MB dealership, take in old regulator. Another one of these please.....Certainly sir....fiddles with computer...ah that part has been withdrawn and a new type replacement is listed, unfortunately you need to change the fan unit and buy an adapter harness total cost £620+vat. At this point I laughed waiting for the punchline.

Sourced one second hand for £85 from an MB breakers.

Truly daylight robbery

Regards

Russell Allen
Not a good way to keep a MB fan is it

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom