Question about aircon

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
I'm looking at buying an E-class Merc (yes, I've noted the rust issue). Does the EC switch indicate the presence of aircon? Is it an economy switch (ie aircon off)?

OP
Parrot of Doom

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So its fair to assume that any car in working order with an EC button has aircon?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
yes - though it doesn't prove the aircon works!
There are some problems with condensors and after 6 years, my old 210 wasn't as enthusiastic as it was when new. I suspect a recharge was on the cards had I kept it.

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
The E class does have an aircon issue too. Make sur eit works properly and gives cold air. The condenser radiator is prone to failuer and your mileage is about right for it to happen. Expensive. too.

OP
Parrot of Doom

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On my previous cars I've used the aircon prety much every single day. Does the Merc default to 'always aircon' - or does it remember the position of the EC switch?

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Default is ON - better as it keeps the gas circulating and the joints lubricated. If the warning light in the EC switch is on, the aircon is off. I never turn mine off as the dehimidifier is essential, especially this time of year.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
On a E class you had the option of either Air con or Clamate control, with Air con you turn it off and on as you need it. With climate control when you start up it normally comes on at 22 degres, if you do not want it to do this press the left hand blower switch repeatedly till the display says off. when you start the car the next time it will be off.

Malcolm

clive williams

Reaction score
Hi Parrot,

Our E320CDI T210 maintains the 'EC off' setting between start-ups. But you need to be aware that the A/C system has to be run periodically to keep it functioning. I suppose that the default setting, for the want of a better word, is when the EC button is switched off and therefore the A/C is switched in all the time, which is contrary to the majority of car A/C systems.

Clive

500E
E320CDIT210

OP
Parrot of Doom

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok, next question:

On my Audi A4, old shape 1.9Tdi, the aircon made bugger all difference to running costs. I believe that other cars with different designs run the aircon at a noticeable difference to fuel economy.

Whats the situation then with a 2 litre petrol MB? I use aircon all the time if I can, as it keeps the car nice and dry.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I put up a thread, its on page 2 called Air con save money. I add to what you say, yes it does keep the car dry, and is the quickest way to clear the screen in winter

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
none of my mercedes have shown any differnece MPG with aircon on or off.

the subaru i had did, when it came on you saw the revs drop a little, and the mpg did go down abit. from 29mpg to around 26-27mpg. but that wasnt sceintific.

maddog

Reaction score
I experimented with mine when towing the caravan one July and it made 1mpg difference, went from 22mpg to 23mpg

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You must remember that with climate control it is only working when the ambient air temp is higher than that of the car, when the car has reached the set temperture the clutch decouples the compressor and it just trips in and out as needed to keep the set temperture.

Malcolm.

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I noticed a small improvement (around 2-3mpg) with aircon off. However, as above, if you have climate as I believe the A4 has, then it may switch in and out as required. If not, as with my W210 with the EC button in the middle of the dash, then it may be running all the time.
Not sure how the semi climate system on the W211 works.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jberks said:
as with my W210 with the EC button in the middle of the dash, then it may be running all the time.
Not sure how the semi climate system on the W211 works.

Air con does run all of the time,it is either on or off. cheaper to buy, more expensive to run, that is until the N22 module goes down on the climate control models.

Malcolm

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I have owned a 320CDi with climate control for about a year now. It is excellent at keeping the cabin at a constant temperature and dehumidifying the air. The system defaults to 'on' and can also be run in 'EC' mode(compressor off) or completely shutdown (by selecting off on the digital control panel).

The system is more economical to run than I thought it would be when I purchased the car, I was expecting a fuel penalty of between 5-10%. In reality I find that with the system on I use less than 5% extra fuel on average and so don't bother turning it off.

OP
Parrot of Doom

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On my A4, the compresser ran continually unless you turned it off with the little frost button. I know this because after 140000 miles of continuous use, it was getting slightly noisy :D

Bugger, I just realised that I didn't fully test the aircon on the E300 I've just bought. Oh well.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom