Question About W208 Dashboard Replacement

nicensleazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 230 CLK Elegance W208
I have a crack in the dashboard of my 230CLK which as you can see in the picture runs from the recessed part of the airbag cover up onto the dasboard top. It's obviously been caused by excessive sun and heat during its 13 year life and I am led to believe it is quite a common occurence.

I visited a local smart repair centre a few days ago, who on looking at it estimated between £60 to £80 for a repair that would be almost invisible (their words).

However I have found a trader on Ebay, SEE HERE based in Germany, who is able to supply a good used dash top for a very reasonable £36 plus p&p of £28. I've got a bit of a dilemma whether to get the smart repair done or go for a replacement dash top instead.

If I go for the latter of the two options can anybody assist (advice-wise) as to how to remove the old and fit the new. It seems to me that it should be fairly straighforward but what tools are required and what tips does anybody have before I possibly start the job. I have previously removed the instrument binnacle, so I am au-fait with that procedure, it's just removing the vinyl dashtop that I am a little unsure about.

Any advice or observations about this would be most welcome :confused:

Attachments

• dashtop.jpg
    dashtop.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 64

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I will print off the instructions for you if you would like them

OP
nicensleazy

nicensleazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks as always Malcolm, that would be great. I can PM you my email address if you like and you can send them over as an attachment if that would be more convenient.

Is it fairly straightforward to do, it's just that I don't have a garage to work in as I live in a terraced street so I don't have the luxury of being able to work under cover etc.

best regards

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am printing off the work involved so that you can sum it all up, it is a steering wheel off job, but quite straight forward

If you go ahead I can print off the sub pages

Pop your Email address up now for a few mins and you can edit out the address in a few mins

OP
nicensleazy

nicensleazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm

Sorry not replied sooner I've been out at work all day. My email address is ***********

Thanks again in anticipation

Phil

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent the main one,,see what you think, the whole center console has to come out as well

OP
nicensleazy

nicensleazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just having a look now. Looks a bigger job than I anticipated this one so I might just go with the smart repair. Thanks for going to the trouble of emailing me Malcolm.

Phil

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just having a look now. Looks a bigger job than I anticipated this one so I might just go with the smart repair. Thanks for going to the trouble of emailing me Malcolm.

Phil

Do have a word with member Dosco,, he had his done and the same colour

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom