1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vehicle R129 SL320 2000 W reg.

Discussion in 'Mercedes Car Classifieds' started by gramey, Oct 29, 2017.

1. gramey

gramey Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2000 SL320
    After a lot of thought I'm selling my R129 SL320, it is brilliant silver with navy upholstery and a navy hood. It is the facelift model so has xenon headlamps, power fold mirrors and memory seats.

As much as I love this car for a lot of reasons I've come to realize I prefer a car with a manual transmission that's a little more involving to drive.

I'm the 5th owner of this car having bought it in July 2016 with 112k on it and a fully stamped up service book although the P/O kept few receipts. I paid £5500 for it knowing that it would need a new soft top at some point and there was minor blistering in the front wings.
    In the 15 months I've owned it I have spent the following,

A service including brake fluid change with Alex Crowe August 2016 - £265
    Both catalytic converters replaced - genuine new MB - in excess of £1000
    2nd hand set of Sador 17" wheels including new centre caps to replace the cheap 19" Carlsson copies that were on the car - £400 plus tyres.
    New genuine MB over mats - £145
    New genuine Hirschmann antenna - £27
    2nd hand period Mercedes Audio 10 radio/CD player - £90
    New genuine MB exhaust trim as previous had started to rust - £98
    New soft top from Autostattler in Germany and fitted by Howard Sands including vertical window seals and new Bowden cables - £1250
    New genuine MB front wings including painting and fitting - £1100

Thorough inspection and work carried out by Prestige Cars, Ipswich August 2017 - total £2000
    This included two brand new headlamp wiper motors, two new front springs, two rear discs and pads (a rear piston had seized off and the inside of the disc had rusted so both discs and pads were replaced), rocker cover gaskets replaced, oil temp sensor and seal which also meant the oil and filter were changed at the same time.

The transmission fluid and filter were changed not not long before I bought the car and I've only done 4 thousand miles in the 15 months I've owned it.

The car is now done fractionally over 117k miles and will rise slightly as it is in regular use and is MOT'd until August 2018. The registration number is W98SAV for anyone that wishes to check it on VOSA. It has in the 11 years of history that are shown had one failure in 2014, absolutely no advisories, for discoloured indicator lenses!

The car is always garaged although not concours as it is my only car, it is not used daily but is used regularly but it wants for nothing other than perhaps a good polish. As much as I would like to go back to a manual car I'm not prepared to give this car away so if someone wants to buy this car I'm looking for £6750.00 or very near offer. I will try and post photos but if not I can email them to anyone who is genuinely interested.

My mobile is 07912 507410 or landline 01473 225341.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. Vintage Racer

Vintage Racer Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2001 SL320 (R129)
    Sorry to hear that you are letting the car go, but that sounds like a really good buy for someone!

3. OP
    gramey

gramey Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2000 SL320
    Thanks, the car is in really great shape and I may well regret letting it go if it does sell but having previously been a traffic cop for 15 of my 30 years in the police I just haven't got used to driving an automatic. I know I could shift the gears manually on the stick to a degree but that's not really what an SL is about.

4. daibevan

daibevan Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006
    I've followed your journey with this car. She has certainly been well looked after and someone will get a lovely car if you sell.
    Why don't you hire/borrow a manual one first to ensure you want to let her go. I know I'd struggle to give it up.

5. OP
    gramey

gramey Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2000 SL320
    Thanks, the car is now staying at least until next spring/summer during which time I intend to get it over to Benzworx and have it under sealed, hopefully sooner rather than later.
    As ridiculous as this sounds it's actually a different car to drive since I had to replace the other catalytic converter. I know people will say how can that be but I think it must have slowly been getting blocked and like anything with a gradual process you don't notice it.
    The car always seemed a bit woolly to drive and I just assumed it was a bit of gutless car due to the weight and the nature of the car. The car seem to rev much more sweetly than it did and as a consequence the box seems to respond much better to throttle inputs. Go figure, I'm pretty sure it's not all in my head, different car to drive now and enjoying t much more so I'm certainly not in any hurry to give it away. :)

6. OP
    gramey

gramey Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2000 SL320
    Well I haven't managed to hang on until spring as intended having spotted a nice low mileage Audi S4 manual cabriolet so if there is anyone interested then I will accept £6000 for my car. This is literally not much more than I have been offered for it to trade it in, I honestly believe someone will get a lovely car at far less than the dealer will retail it for. So if anyone is interested before it goes next week then give me a call on either of the above numbers. :)