1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R129 soft top question?

Discussion in 'Bodywork, Tyres, Wheels & Trim' started by gramey, Feb 16, 2017.

1. gramey

gramey Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2000 SL320
    Sorry to ask but I still have my hardtop on at the moment, on my soft top there is an elasticated strap that goes round the frame mechanism. Can anyone tell me if this is attached to the hood or the headlining please?

I'm wanting to order a new soft top from KHM but if this strap, which on mine I can remember has worn and snapped, but need to know if it's attached to the headlining so I know whether or not to order that as well. I'd prefer not to simply because of the additional cost but I want it to be right. :)

2. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    You can replace them, I should be able to send details

3. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    From what I recall the elastic goes from the outer hood to the frame and pulls the canvas against the body. One of mine has broken and there's a whole lot of wind noise as a result of the hood sitting away from the body. Not fixed it yet as it broke just at the end of summer.

4. OP
    gramey

gramey Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2000 SL320
    Thanks Malcolm, I just can't remember which part they're attached to, hopefully Howard Sands, who is going to do my roof, would be able to do this during the process if they can be replaced and don't come with the soft top. He's re-trimming a vintage Packard Straight Eight before doing my roof so a couple of elastic straps shouldn't pose too many problems for him. Obviously if I can order them separately I know he'll have the correct colour. :)