R230 boot sensors/switche(s)

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
My SL has the optional power boot opener/closer. Sometimes the feature doesn't work - pull the boot handle & it unlocks but doesn't lift. Other times it won't close when I press the button to close but I do hear a clunk from the area of the roof pump / PSE.

No major prob - it seems to be fine the next time I go to use it after the car has been locked.

However - sometimes the roof won't go down or go up, like this morning & I think it's a switch somewhere

Sequence today:
I open the boot by pulling the handle - it rises, I put my stuff in the boot.
I press the button to close the boot - it closes.
I go to the drivers door (keyless), it unlocks I get in & start the car.
I lift the handle to drop the roof - the windows drop slightly but then nothing - the bootlid doesn't open up as per normal
I get out & go to open the bootlid per normal - it unlocks but doesn't rise. I lift manually to fully open, press the close button & it closes.
Get back in the car, pull the roof switch & it drops fine.
Get to the office, park up & press the roof switch, windows drop but boot doesn't open.
Switch off, open boot manually (power open doesn't), close manually, lock, unlock restart car, press switch & roof comes back up per normal.

For anyone still awake (!) it's understanding the roof switch by virtue of the windows dropping slightly when trying to raise/lower the roof - just sometimes it doesn't follow through
It's understanding the boot handle (and remote) to unlock & open - just sometimes it doesn't follow through.
It's understanding the close boot buttons - the click from the pump area but do nothing and even the fold mirrors in / alarm when I press the close + lock switch but the boot remains open.

A reset by locking the car seems to get it to behave again every time whichever bit has misbehaved so I'm thinking there's a switch somewhere that's not properly responding but I have no idea where it/they live.

No dash errors when the roof plays up - it's just like I've started then let go of the switch.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful to receive them

David Arnott

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2009
You will have to put it on STAR and read the fault codes / events and then follow it through from there.
I think that is the best first step, there are a dozen switches/sensors that it might be!

OP
drmw

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
It's possibly inevitable but for the moment as it's so intermittent I'll keep poking about. Sod's law says the minute I arrange to get it hooked up it will play the game day in, day out!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hmmm, did you just say that out loud?

Top Bottom