R230 Parktronic Stray Connector?

Lowe712131

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 / Aston Martin DB9 Volante
I stripped the boot lining out of my SL55 on Sunday to try and get to the bottom of the Parktronic not working (never has since I had the car - it just alarms with all lights on, then switches itself off). A STAR readout showed faults on nearly all the sensors, which to me says ECU rather than a sensor issue, they are all clean with no damage etc.. Located the ECU in the boot, took connectors off, inspected for dry joints etc, cleaned and reattached but still got fault. One thing that did strike me though, there was a 6 wire multiplug just hanging loose in that area, not connected to anything (See pic) . There are no spare connections on any of the ECU's in that area, however I did notice a spare socket that looked suspiciously like it might fit it, on a short length of cable going through a grommet into the rear wing area (Second pic) , although it seemed to far away from the plug to reach. Does anyone know what this multiplug is for? Wire colours are :-

White/Yellow
Brown/Blue
Black/Yellow
Yellow/Red
Yellow/Purple
Yellow/White

Is this something to do with the Parktronic maybe? The socket that looks a possibility goes through a grommet into the rear wing area, under where the aerial is. I didn't want to try tease the cables together and connect them without knowing it's definitely the correct connector first! (visions of towering inferno and hysterically cackling insurance man!)

PIC 1 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9zwa2396f548nz/IMG_0305.JPG

PIC 2 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcmofqon5yx16rq/Pic%202.JPG

Many thanks
Simon

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
I stripped the boot lining out of my SL55 on Sunday to try and get to the bottom of the Parktronic not working (never has since I had the car - it just alarms with all lights on, then switches itself off). A STAR readout showed faults on nearly all the sensors, which to me says ECU rather than a sensor issue,

I would have said you've cracked it until I re-read the opening line - if it was something as fundamental as the plug has fallen out, I would have thought star would show all sensors as opposed to nearly all

OP
L

Lowe712131

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that - I think it was all the rears showing faults, and most of the fronts (from memory) - will have to dig out the printout - it might even have been all of them to be honest, will check. The socket looked as though it has not been connected for some time. I've left it all in bits anyway, so will give it a clean up and check voltages on it etc..
Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I will give it a go later in the day to see if I can find what that plug is.

AdamG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320CDI (2003)
Those connectors look very similar to the w220 rear parking harness.

When I retrofitted parktronic I found that the system needed a complete set of sensors front and rear or it would flag a fault for all of them. I only discovered this after buying a replacement ecu :Oops:

The question has to be asked though why have the sensors been disconnected?

Adam

vauxhallmaniac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350/SLK320 Special Edt/SLK320 "Tinkerbelle Edition"
That is plug X35/28 PARKTRONIC WIRING :grin::grin::grin::grin:

OP
L

Lowe712131

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the replies, that's looking promising then!
Maybe it was disconnected deliberately to mask a problem, however the connectors are a bit too far apart to fit at the minute, so I can't help wondering if the bumper has been removed at some point in the past and the socket wiring has been pulled through the grommet slightly, disconnecting it. Will clean and reconnect it and have a look ..... fingers crossed!
Cheers

OP
L

Lowe712131

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We have a winner!

All sorted! Thanks to everyone for the help - gave the socket cable a gentle pull and sure enough it come back through the grommet, long enough to reach the plug. A quick clean up and a spray of non drying switch cleaner and it's now 100% working for the first time since I've had the car! Nice one :)
Thanks
Simon

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom