R230 roof question

Viscount

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL / 2003 / 3.7L
I usually garage my SL when at home and sometime in good weather leave the roof down in the garage to reduce the number of cycles it is subjected to. It has been suggested to me that this is not good practice as the associated wiring is in an unnatural state and might deteriorate. Any views?

andynpz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 GLE 350d, navy-blue, --- SWMBO's car, 2007 SL 350, (R230) silver.
We do exactly the same for the same reasons as you with SWMBO's car. Have never given the wiring a thought, just been aware that we didn't do it with the CLK cab out of concern for the roof fabric, and no such concerns with non-fabric roof.

Actually, SWMBO hates roof left folded as dust gets on to all surfaces inc. interior - which may now be two good reasons to desist forthwith!

OP
Viscount

Viscount

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL / 2003 / 3.7L
Thanks. The dust is not an issue here as I have to often clean out the car due to having a small dog that travels in a box secured with the luggage strap behind the seats in a carrier and who loves the beach. So, sand everywhere!

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Pretty sure MB didn’t design the roof to have only a set number of cycles before it stops.

My roof , fabric , goes up and down even on short journeys .... this stuff either works or doesn’t ... I don’t think you’re saving a thing here ..seems pointless if that’s the reason .....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Pretty sure MB didn’t design the roof to have only a set number of cycles before it stops.

My roof , fabric , goes up and down even on short journeys .... this stuff either works or doesn’t ... I don’t think you’re saving a thing here ..seems pointless if that’s the reason .....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I tend to agree.
I'd also like to have a little more confidence that when I push the button for it to do something it does it and that only comes from regular usage.
I know my 129 misbehaves with lack of use as the switches used to sense position have a tendency to stick.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I personally like to give the roof regular exercise so it is opened and closed everytime i use it and even on shorts journeys. I also think the roofs natural position is closed and (no science here) i believe anything left for any period of time should be left in its natuaral position.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Use it and keep using it would be my view

OP
Viscount

Viscount

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL / 2003 / 3.7L
OK, thanks. I'll close it from now on!!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom