R230 SL55 Handling issues

titch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 2003
Hi,

Yet another issue on the SL. After spanking just shy of £4000 on the suspension after the car just decided to sit down on its tyres, its now (in just over a year) handling like a double decker bus. You feel every bump in the road, the traction control kicks in whenever your right foot gets slightly happy, however no warning lights are showing up.

Any ideas on what it may be.... I'm really afraid of taking it to MB as it usually comes back with more problems than what it went in for!!! :mad:

Any pointers appreciated!!

Regards

Jay

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Hi,

Yet another issue on the SL. After spanking just shy of £4000 on the suspension after the car just decided to sit down on its tyres, its now (in just over a year) handling like a double decker bus. You feel every bump in the road, the traction control kicks in whenever your right foot gets slightly happy, however no warning lights are showing up.

Any ideas on what it may be.... I'm really afraid of taking it to MB as it usually comes back with more problems than what it went in for!!! :mad:

Any pointers appreciated!!

Regards

Jay

My car was like that on one occasion after collecting it following a service......I had not noticed that the ''mechanic'' had presumably been testing the ABC height adjustment and left it on ''high''......it took me about 24hrs. to notice what was the problem. One golden rule in life is that you leave as you find.......no harm done but the SL does not respond well to being driven with enthusiasm on the ''high'' setting.

Try running yours up and down a couple of times, try the sport setting. Try the simple things before committing to expense.

Mic

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hard to know what to say without seeing the car, what is the height between the top of the wheel arch to the ground on all 4 corners

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
could be collapsed accumulators, failing accelerometers, valve body problems or any number of other things.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
could be collapsed accumulators, failing accelerometers, valve body problems or any number of other things.[/QUOT

I made an error on STAR and exited the menu incorrectly leaving the car in some service mode and the ride was horrible and hard just like the above. I re joined up and corrected my error and all fine.
I post this as the above car seems to be the same on all 4 corners

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom