R230 SL55 Rear Consumer battery not charging (front battery charging fine)

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
Any ideas?

If I put the multimeter on the batteries the reading are as follows....
With the engine OFF - Front battery showing 13.2v, Rear (consumer) battery showing 12.2v
With the engine RUNNING - Front battery - 14.5v, Rear (consumer) battery 11.8v

The alternator is obviously working as it is charging the front battery.

I changed the alternator 11 months ago for a factory refurbished unit and it has been fine until yesterday.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Have you tried charging the consumer battery seperately? Could be a bad battery.

OP
G

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
I will take it out and charge it up, but I'm fairly sure it is ok as it is not very old. Also even if the battery was goosed, surely I would still see 14+v going into the battery with the engine running?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
In my SL I had almost identical readings even when trickle charging the consumer every night or at least every other. Consumers would occasionally go offline too. Changed the battery and all solved.
Not sure on the answer to your query on the engine running TBH...

OP
G

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
I've just been on a short drive in it (with no error messages) and when I tested it as I got home the rear battery is now reading 14.2v with the engine running.

Very odd, I will keep checking every now and then over the next few days and see what's happening.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
My old consumer battery would only last 2 days before it gave me the offline warning, even after a full charge. I changed it for a new MB battery and now i no longer get the offline message even after nearly 2 weeks of not using the SL.

OP
G

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
I use it every day and it has been fine, until yesterday where I got the consumers offline message very quickly followed by a constant beeping and a 'stop car now' brake warning message - it also wouldn't change gear in manual mode. I parked it up and when I started it this morning it was fine (but the battery was showing the low reading in the first post). It has been fine all day though with no warnings and now the battery is giving good readings. Very odd, but I have come to expect that of this car!

OP
G

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
I used it again this evening and it came up with the consumer offline message, very quickly followed by the red warning to stop the car.
Is it possible for the regulator thing on the alternator to only give out a charge for a short time? That seems to be what is happening, battery charging ok when first started but then after anything more then a very short drive it stops charging. (I think, although the front battery still seems to be charging fine all the time)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Or the rear battery not holding the charge?

alexanderallen1

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class 320 L Cdi 2008
I used it again this evening and it came up with the consumer offline message, very quickly followed by the red warning to stop the car.
Is it possible for the regulator thing on the alternator to only give out a charge for a short time? That seems to be what is happening, battery charging ok when first started but then after anything more then a very short drive it stops charging. (I think, although the front battery still seems to be charging fine all the time)
Hi bud, did you ever get to the bottom of this ? My s320 w221 is having the exact same issue and have changed the voltage regulator but has done nothing.

ulyssesking4

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 SL55
Hello, I’m having the same problem with my2008 sl 55. Front battery is charging and rear is not. I have checked the fuses under the glove compartment on the passenger side and both are good. With car running I’m getting 14.2 v at the front battery and 12 v at the back. Any ideas?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Bad rear battery, bad earth or failed BCM (battery control module).

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
As above. BCM actuates a relay to switch rear battery in/out of charging circuit, potentially this relay is stuck but this often gives red battery warning on dash. Have you read the fault codes?

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom