1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R320. CD1 tickover

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by MarkF, Jan 13, 2018.

1. MarkF

MarkF Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML 270CDi
    This stunning car arrived last September. Now ever since I got it the tickover has always been around 800/900 rpm in or out of gear. Just of late it's got a mind of its own, sometimes it will drop to around 600/700rpm, still nice and smooth. Other times it will start at the 800rpm and then after a short drive, stop at a junction and it will suddenly drop to 600/700.
    Just wondering if I have. Sensor on its way out, could a man sensor cause this.

Any ideas?

2. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W212 E63 ///AMG V8 Biturbo Volvo XC90 2018
  3. OP
    MarkF

MarkF Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML 270CDi
    No Dash lights and it drives just fine, no loss of power nothing just the revs drop.

I assume that the normal tickover rpm for a 320CDi V6 engine is 800/900rpm.

4. KennyN

KennyN Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLS G-E , ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
    On my V6 CLS diesel the car idles at 600 rpm , when just started it will sit at 800 until it is various monitoring sensors are happy, then drop to 600.

The time it takes to drop to 600 varies , dependent on ambient temp , load on the electrics , how much charge is in the battery.

I replaced the battery last year and the time for the initial revs to drop reduced considerably.

Kenny

5. OP
    MarkF

MarkF Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML 270CDi
    Oh thanks for this, appears then that mine has been constantly high rpm from day one.
    Interesting what you said about the battery as the last few weeks I have had a glow plug issue, light stays on and in a cold morning not that it gets that cold here I have given it two to three pre heats before turning the key to start. I wonder if it's taking its toll on the battery? Need to get it to the indi soon as I get chance to sort glow plug issue, will ask him to check.

Many thanks.