R320. CD1 tickover

MarkF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi
This stunning car arrived last September. Now ever since I got it the tickover has always been around 800/900 rpm in or out of gear. Just of late it's got a mind of its own, sometimes it will drop to around 600/700rpm, still nice and smooth. Other times it will start at the 800rpm and then after a short drive, stop at a junction and it will suddenly drop to 600/700.
Just wondering if I have. Sensor on its way out, could a man sensor cause this.

Any ideas?

OP
MarkF

MarkF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi
No Dash lights and it drives just fine, no loss of power nothing just the revs drop.

I assume that the normal tickover rpm for a 320CDi V6 engine is 800/900rpm.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
I assume that the normal tickover rpm for a 320CDi V6 engine is 800/900rpm.

On my V6 CLS diesel the car idles at 600 rpm , when just started it will sit at 800 until it is various monitoring sensors are happy, then drop to 600.

The time it takes to drop to 600 varies , dependent on ambient temp , load on the electrics , how much charge is in the battery.

I replaced the battery last year and the time for the initial revs to drop reduced considerably.

Kenny

OP
MarkF

MarkF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi
Oh thanks for this, appears then that mine has been constantly high rpm from day one.
Interesting what you said about the battery as the last few weeks I have had a glow plug issue, light stays on and in a cold morning not that it gets that cold here I have given it two to three pre heats before turning the key to start. I wonder if it's taking its toll on the battery? Need to get it to the indi soon as I get chance to sort glow plug issue, will ask him to check.

Many thanks.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom