RATTLE FROM DRIVER SIDE FRONT WHEEL OR INSIDE DOOR

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
Hi again guys. So I have had this rattling for some time now and I just feel like it's getting a bit annoying and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has any advice on this.
When I go over any bump there is a rattling noise coming from either the front wheel or inside the door??
I was going to open the door up to see if something has come loose or broke but don't want to waste my time in case it isn't.

macdoesit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 sl500
My 1999 SL500 has a knock in bottom of driver door or under car on driver side when driving slow over rough ground for years, I have opened door and listened, have had it on a rack, had Brother walk beside and still can not find what it is, very annoying.

Sigoodall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A207 E220/2013/Diesel
Have you ruled out a suspension problem? Is it a rattle or a clunk. I recently had a low speed "noise" when going over the many speed bumps near where I live, car drove fine at other times. Turn out to be a suspension problem and needed a bush replacing.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The usual source of rattles is a worn droplink.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
I had this...
Turned out to be a bottle of wine my other half had stowed and forgotten in the glovebox!
Full fortunately ;):D
I never normally go into 'her' cupboards :rolleyes:

OP
Quaver

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
Have you ruled out a suspension problem? Is it a rattle or a clunk. I recently had a low speed "noise" when going over the many speed bumps near where I live, car drove fine at other times. Turn out to be a suspension problem and needed a bush replacing.
I haven't looked into the suspension yet. Will there be a visual sign if I take my wheel of and have a look?
Is that a easy job I could possibly do myself bearing in mind I'm no mechanic but I am quite handy. And how much did it cost u to replace?

OP
Quaver

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
OP
Quaver

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
What's the process to change this?

Simon Barry

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 215
Hi again guys. So I have had this rattling for some time now and I just feel like it's getting a bit annoying and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has any advice on this.
When I go over any bump there is a rattling noise coming from either the front wheel or inside the door??
I was going to open the door up to see if something has come loose or broke but don't want to waste my time in case it isn't.
Have you checked the front brake backing plate for security ?
When going over a bump it gives a tinny rattle rather than clunk or deeper thump.
They rust & eventually break free at the securing point.
Relatively common on W211. Sometimes elusive to pinpoint.

OP
Quaver

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
Have you checked the front brake backing plate for security ?
When going over a bump it gives a tinny rattle rather than clunk or deeper thump.
They rust & eventually break free at the securing point.
Relatively common on W211. Sometimes elusive to pinpoint.
Would this have been changed when replacing my disc and pads because I had this done recently already

OP
Quaver

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
If it had been done by an Indy: yes.
If it had been done by a franchised dealer - possibly !
i think i can rule that out then. i have a feeling its the drop link so will be pursuing in that direction.

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Take the front wheels of and check anti roll bar, also a must, check bull joints unless you asked to have them done.

OP
Quaver

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
Take the front wheels of and check anti roll bar, also a must, check bull joints unless you asked to have them done.
Will give it a try when I'm next of. Is the anti roll bar the same as a drop link? N does it usually get changed with other parts?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Drop link and anti roll bar are different but related parts. They normally get changed on their own

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom